We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Days with 3 Kids

New CIty, New York
Level Contributor
72 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
3 Days with 3 Kids

Hi,

We will be in San Fran for 3 days with our 3 kids (15, 13, 12) at the end of April (surrounding Easter Sunday).

Please check this itinerary and let me know what you think and if I have missed anything crucial.

1. Alcatraz/Fisherman’s Wharf, Ghiradelli Square, Farmer’s Market

2: Cross GG bridge, go to Muir Woods, see Sausalito or Tiburon, return to SF and sight see in City (houses/wind-y streets).

3: Marina/Exploratorium then go to GG park/ocean. More sight seeing in the city.

We will have a rental car. I know everyone says to use Public Transportation, but I'm not sure when we should or shouldn't based on the itinerary above.

We want to ride a cable car too.

We will only have 1 night available to go out to dinner as we have plans with family and friends the other nights. Any suggestions? We are foodies and the kids love to eat. I don't want to say that price is no object, but it doesn't have to be cheap. Just not Japanese (kid allergic).

Lastly, what do you guys think about the CityPasses, or GoSan Fran pass, etc? Worth it?

Thanks.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
24,681 posts
5,484 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Days with 3 Kids

Your plans sound good.

Given a family of 5, I would probably just use your car to drive to the places you are going to see. There is a parking lot (big) at Fisherman Wharf; you can get validation if you eat at one of the restaurants there. Its fairly reasonable though even without validation.

For Golden Gate Park, if you get a place to park along the road,it is free. There is a parking garage if you want to do paid parking. Given 5 in your group, the parking rate and public transportation costs are fairly equal. As such, I would just use the car.

There is a large parking area by the marina -

Ferry Building is where you will find higher parking rates - not sure where you are staying. If close by, walk to it or take public transportation just to say you did it

San Francisco for the most part is "public transportation" - anti car type people. However with your group and what you want to see I would just drive and park as indicated above.

For cable car ride try to get the cable car from any location except Fisherman Wharf. There is generally a huge line there and it might take an hour to get on the car;if you take it from another place; you will find it quicker to get on the cable car.

In regards to being both a foodie and eating, Kokkari is a nice place to go - reservations required. It would be a higher end place for a family meal - there are lots of great restaurants in San Francisco, but this place has fine dining that the family will enjoy.

yelp.com/biz/kokkari-estiatorio-san-francisc…

San Francisco
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Days with 3 Kids

The Musee Mechanique, http://www.museemechanique.org/ which is by Fisherman Wharf is great for kids of all ages. It is a mechanical museum with working antique arcade machines.

3. Re: 3 Days with 3 Kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 07:18