We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SFO Immigration check and FAQ's Documents to Carry??

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
50 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
SFO Immigration check and FAQ's Documents to Carry??

Hi friends this is my first post.

I am traveling to US for 20 days, I have already booked my travel tickets for Apr 30th and return for May 20th. I have also booked for my internal travel for through out my stay.

My first point of landing is at SFO and and leaving back to India on May 20th from JFK.

I am worried about Immigration as this is my first travel abroad.

What questions will i be asked at the immigration and what documents should i carry?? please suggest and help me.

I have my valid passport and VISA with travel insurance. and i can get a letter for employment in India here. is any other documents needed for immigration. please suggest. and FAQ's

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,650 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SFO Immigration check and FAQ's Documents to Carry??

I would expect that the only thing you'll need is your passport and the correct VISA. Why would you need a letter of employment??

IF you are just visiting here then noone needs to know about your job.

The place to check is with the USA embassy in your country.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SFO Immigration check and FAQ's Documents to Carry??

riffsmom writes>>....Why would you need a letter of employment?? IF you are just visiting here then noone needs to know about your job.....<<

You obviously haven't had to deal with the US Depts of State and Homeland Security.

From countries where the two agencies consider there to be a high rate of visitor's visa abuse (or if you're applying for a business visa obviously), with persons entering the US on a visitor's visa and then failing to leave in a timely fashion the agencies long ago resorted to requiring documents that show that the prospective visitor has strong ties with their home country that would compel them to return in a timely fashion. A letter from an employer in the home country showing that the prospective visitor has a job that they need to return to is one of the forms of evidence they'll accept. The letter is generally required to obtain the visa itself, but may be needed at the time of entry into the US for the BCIS inspector to determine how long of a visit to permit.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,650 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SFO Immigration check and FAQ's Documents to Carry??

Interesting, I DID say check with the USA embassy. I would expect THEM to know the rules!

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
50 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SFO Immigration check and FAQ's Documents to Carry??

Thanx for your reply.... i was adviced to carry it so was checking weather i would need any more documentation for the questions they would ask.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
50 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SFO Immigration check and FAQ's Documents to Carry??

thank you caffined. thats good note i will arrange for it thanks.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
50 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SFO Immigration check and FAQ's Documents to Carry??

I am traveling abroad for the first time.

I Just had a word with my friends and he says SFO has record of sending back people and they are tuff also.. is that so?? please help i am getting tensed.

Should i Change my travel plans to other places as my point of entry.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SFO Immigration check and FAQ's Documents to Carry??

What other port of entry would you use that wouldn't give you the same chance of being returned?

What makes you think you would be refused entry into the USA?

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
50 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SFO Immigration check and FAQ's Documents to Carry??

I am 28 nd un married also my 1st travel outside

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
394 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SFO Immigration check and FAQ's Documents to Carry??

You should also have on hand your return ticket.

My husband has dual US & Aus citizenship. I have been asked to show my return ticket ... but not him ... does that mean they want me to leave him there??? Sorry - Finders Keepers!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SFO Immigration check and FAQ's Documents to Carry??

There are various restrictions on plants, seeds, medicine, and agricultural products, so don't bring any of these items unless you have checked out the rules. Be prepared to show that you have a way to pay for your expenses during your trip. And be prepared to tell them what states you plan to visit.