We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Armagh, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco

Hi, im travelling to San Francisco in early September. Iv read that this is the best time to go weather wise. Im just wondering if someone could let me know what type of weather to expect and what the fog is like at this time of year? Im hoping for mild weather and clear days so i can get some great views and photos of the city.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,436 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco

You're right, generally speaking some of the best ("summer") weather is int he early fall.

Realizing that all it will tell you is *climate* (read: averages) and you'll be having to deal with *weather* (read: actuals) *and* compounded with the fact that to a large extent SF is a land of micro-climates (I've literally stood in the bright sun and watch the fog roll by a few blocks away) . . . try the link located in the far lower left of the forum screen. It's called San Francisco Weather (or something like that).

Hope this helps,

Minnesota, USA
Level Contributor
709 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco

I've been to San Francisco in both September and October and generally have had really good weather. It's normally warmer at this time of year than in the summer months, with little chance of rain. I think you've picked a good time to visit. Just want to let you know, though, if you do happen to have some fog and/or clouds, don't let that deter your photography! Some of my favorite photos that I've taken in San Francisco include fog! Especially of the Golden Gate Bridge when the fog rolls in and out-beautiful!

Armagh, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco

Thanks for your posts, this information has been really helpful and reassured me as to what to expect. I can't wait to get there and experience it all for myself.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
49 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco

I've been living here for about 20 years and it used to be that September 1st was the start of real summer...but, for the past 3 or so years, the nice weather has been coming later and later. It's so hard to predict, but in early September, I would still expect there to be some fog and some sun every day. That's my best guess!

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,851 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco

Still pack pants and a jacket. It gets pretty cool at night regardless of time of year! But yes, typically September and October offer the "nicest" weather of the year. No guarantees, as weather patterns have been all over the map lately. I mean...it rained more than once in June this year!!

sf
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco

Usually the only good bet for weather, growing up here the nice weather always showed up in September, as soon as you were back in school. This year the weather has been stranger than usual, and as evryone else has said bring at least a light jacket with you when going out.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Francisco

It's best to check the weather a couple of days before you arrive. There are very few days *ever* that anything besides jeans (or other long trousers) and a long sleeved shirt aren't the order of the day. Today I was driving past Alamo Square and saw a couple, the woman was wearing white capris and I immediately thought: "tourist" -- then I saw the map they were carrying. Now there's nothing wrong with looking like a visitor but I'll bet she was a bit chilly all day.

For example, Wednesday was quite warm (70s), Thursday looked really nice but not nearly as warm and quite breezy. Today was cooler still and more like windy. Which is something to keep in mind when you look at weather reports. Those temps, when coupled with breeze (always prevalent on the waterfront), feel a lot cooler.

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Francisco

We are visiting for the third time for Labor Day weekend at start of Sept. Having visited in Feb 03 and Nov 09 before, we know that weather can be much nicer than at home but that the secret is to wear layers and be prepared for the anything. I would like to finally see the GG bridge in fog just for a little while.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,281 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Francisco

Hi marionspence,

Good to see you are coming back for your third visit.

Have a great trip.

sf
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: San Francisco

As we say in San Francisco, "If you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes." Also to add a wrinkle, there are a lot of microclimates within SF, where a mile can give you a totally diffferent experience.