We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Spring Lake...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary help

Already posted, BUT specifically in this one I wanted itinerary help. And I forgot to add in the other one we wanted to make it to the Farmer's market, and part of the problem is, I really don't know where all these things are located, such as the farmer's market and Chinatown.

We are thinking

Friday, May 20 - arrive

Sat - Mon, drive down to and stay in Santa Cruz

Mon and/or Tues - drive, Muir Woods, maybe the Pacifica stop

Tues through Thurs - Point Reyes, Armstrong grove

Thurs, May 26 through Tues, May 31 - SF

That seems to be our best option, but that puts San Francisco on Memorial Day. Is that crazy? We have to do Memorial Day weekend somewhere, though, and everywhere gets crowded.

So that means I have to plan which museums and activities we need to do with all the crowds.

We have Fri through Mon of Memorial Day weekend available. Please help me order these and make a Memorial Day weekend itinerary that will be as best as possible:

Exploratorium, Cal Academy of Sciences, Aquarium of the Bay, Bay fleet cruise, Chinatown, Golden Gate park, the zoo, the beach, Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf, and farmer's market. Any cool streams, fountains, playgrounds for 3 years and 1 years olds as well.

Also, where should we stay - we are thinking near Golden Gate park if that is possible, or Fisherman's Wharf. We are not planning to take the time to shop and see Union Square.

Thanks!

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,199 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help

I think some of your questions were answered on your other post. Memorial weekend is a good time to be in San Francisco. Lots of folks are gone for the weekend. It's when we like to go and often get great rates on hotel rooms.

There's also a neat Carnivale parade that weekend although it may not be the best for young kids.

I'm really chiming in here because you have Point Reyes listed as Tues - Thurs. I just wanted to remind you that the lighthouse is closed on Tuesday and Wednesday. So factor that in if you were interested in going there although, again, it might not be the best place for real young ones with the steep steps going down the cliff.

Spring Lake...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help

Thanks, I did not realize that about the lighthouse. That helps. It might be difficult, but both our kids will be in carriers. We will just have to stop and take a break. ;-)

The reason I did a new thread was meant to figure out the itinerary for San Francisco. I don't really know where things are and which activities we could do on the same day because they are in the same vicinity and I don't know how long it takes to do each activity, like 3 hours for the aquarium, or whatever.

Thanks. ;-)

san francisco
Level Contributor
543 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help

You'll probably want to stay around the Fisherman's Wharf area -- Aquarium of the Bay (warning: pretty lame, 1 hour tops), Pier 39, cruises, Ferry Building Farmer's Market, Exploratorium, and Chinatown are all easily accessible from there. You could conceivably do all these things in one insane day, and easily in 2 or 3.

Cal Academy of Sciences is in GG Park; the beach, in terms of the actual Ocean, is at the end of GG Park -- there is also a small beach at the Aquatic Park in Fisherman's Wharf and a larger bay beach at Crissy Field (between Fisherman's Wharf and the GG Bridge). The beach at Aquatic Park is sheltered from heavy winds and the water is calm, unlike Ocean Beach which can have driving winds and dangerous currents (though unless you enjoy really cold water you won't be swimming).

The Randall Museum at Corona Heights is a great , free little museum for kids (need to drive there)...

Spring Lake...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help

Thanks - and I guess I am switching around Point Reyes and Santa Cruz. Should we skip the aquarium? Though cool activities for the little ones is great. And the zoo is something we should skip as well, so we've been told? Should I add in any of the gardens I see over at GG park?

5. Re: Itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 10:23