We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-3 days in San Francisco

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
211 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
2-3 days in San Francisco

Hey everyone, Im going to be in Irvine for a buisness trip and want to go up to San Fran for a few days after that. It looks like John Wayne airport may be the option to take to get up there. Im starting to look at all the forums and get points and ideas for my questions, but can you all throw some things out there. What are the best things to do if you had 2-3 days,( Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz) where would be the best area to stay, hotels?( middle of the road as far as price, dont need a spa, but dont want bed bugs and filth!) Transportation, would renting a bike be the best bet for a day? Bus? Stuff like that. All ideas welcome, thanks everyone!!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
211 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2-3 days in San Francisco

Oh and nightlife, Im mid 30's, not looking to go "clubbing", just have some drinks and mingle with locals at some cool pubs and tavern style places.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,280 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2-3 days in San Francisco

>>What are the best things to do if you had 2-3 days,( Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz) <<

If you're looking for the most popular sights in general (not taking into account your own preferences), the usual recommendations are the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz (book now, as it books up early), Victorian houses, riding the cable cars, exploring neighborhoods like Chinatown, North Beach, Cow Hollow/the Marina.

But, if you can tell us what types of things you'd like to see, we can give you more "custom-made" info!

>>where would be the best area to stay, hotels?( middle of the road as far as price, dont need a spa, but dont want bed bugs and filth!) <<

See the Top Questions on the upper right side of this page, as there are different answers for different needs.

>>Transportation, would renting a bike be the best bet for a day? Bus? <<

Bike would be great to get across the Golden Gate Bridge and even to Sausalito (a little bay-side town with upscale boutiques and great views). But not for transportation in the city. Public transit works well, and there is a 3-day pass that would keep you from having to worry about change. It is good on all transportation run by the city, which includes cable cars, buses, underground, streetcars, etc.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,280 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2-3 days in San Francisco

Most of our bars aren't pubs or tavern-style, but a few that are include:

The Brazen Head (in the Cow Hollow area, mostly locals, with restaurant)

The Irish Bank (near Union Square, with some food)

Johnny Foley's (near Union Square, with restaurant)

Comstock Saloon (near North Beach, a modern tavern, with restaurant)

Wayfare Tavern (in the Financial District, a modern tavern, with restaurant)

san francisco
Level Contributor
543 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2-3 days in San Francisco

Great pub on Union and Van Ness called the Black Horse London Pub - its the smallest bar in SF with warm and friendly clientele...

Boston...
Level Contributor
211 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2-3 days in San Francisco

Thanks SFSusan & Tdubb, good info. Susan I def want to go see the GG bridge during day and night, I saw on here a few posts about best places at night to see and photograph the bridge, your suggestions? Will book a visit to Alcatraz, have to see what other options I have. Is Union Square a decent place to stay around, central location? I may take in a Giants game if I have time. Which park would be the best to go for a long walk, or a pier walk? Are there any areas, day or night you would suggest not to go, or caution? Im sure I will have more questiosn if you dont mind, thanks!!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,943 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2-3 days in San Francisco

Union Square is great if you like shopping and night life - very central to things. This is also a great place to have some drinks/etc.

For water front walking - with no building obstruction - the Marina is very nice. This area also has a spectacular view of the Golden Gate Bridge.

http://www.sftravel.com/mgreen.html

Golden Gate Park is a really good park to explore in San Francisco - lots of great walking as well as museums and more.

You can also walk from the Alcatraz area to the ferry building or to Fisherman Wharf - more buildings, etc. - but many enjoy doing that walk as well - you will get water views from time to time.

http://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/

Its in the Embarcadero District -

Taking in a baseball game is a lot of fun. Since you are only here 2-3 days which can feel a bit rushed, recommend getting the View seating at the ball park. Reason for this is that you get to see the game, while also taking in a fantastic view of the Bay and boats and more. It would make for a fun way to see the bay, while taking in the game.

In terms of areas day or night - normal big city precautions....there is a fair number of homeless and you will see them throughout San Francisco - but generally leave you alone and vice versa. Some areas like Fisherman Wharf, Chinatown get quieter by 9:00 or so. For later at night, stick to Union Square area or North Beach area. - more people out later at night....

Boston...
Level Contributor
211 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2-3 days in San Francisco

Awesome, thanks Mini, these are tips I need that will make my stay a great one. Im from Boston and a big Baseball fan, so I def want to go see a Giants game. Im going to look into the view seating as well, thats what id like, to see the bay as well as watch the game. Keep em coming!!!! Thanks!!!

8. Re: 2-3 days in San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 23:16