We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skateboarding San Fran

New Zealand
Level Contributor
3 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Skateboarding San Fran

Hi, son (15) and I heading to San fran late july, staying Union Sq area.

Are there any decent places to skateboard? Has San Fran got any noteable skateboard parks?

Not sure of the laws in that city about skating, say, down the waterfront?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,994 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skateboarding San Fran

Skateboarding is rough in San Francisco because it is a very urban environment. The only skate park I know of currently is well outside the urban core at Crocker Amazon Park.

Because of damage over the years lots of buildings in the main areas of SF have been "skater proofed" with metal bars, etc placed to discourage railing on them.

It is also illegal to ride skateboards on most sidewalks and streets in the city, especially in the core areas, where most likely you will be staying.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skateboarding San Fran

caliskatz.com/v4/skateparks/san_francisco_sk…

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skateboarding San Fran

I dug this up from a couple of years ago: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k255597…

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skateboarding San Fran

Golden Gate Park on a Sunday when the streets are closed would be perfect.

And if you happen to coincide with any of the "Sunday Streets" events, that could work too. Basically the city chooses an area and shuts down the street to traffic - though I'd avoid the BayView Sunday Streets event (it's out of the way and not the safest area): http://www.sundaystreetssf.com/

sf
Level Contributor
3,424 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Skateboarding San Fran

I agree with sfimporter, and the skate park listed above is in a risky area., close to where a lot of gang activity exists.

6. Re: Skateboarding San Fran

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 05:18