We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit Muni Map

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Transit Muni Map

I'm arriving Thursday AM. Going to buy Muni 3 day Passport at SFO, can I buy a trnsit map there as while.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco to Sausalito Private...
6 Reviews
from US$35.00*
Golden Gate Bay Cruise
365 Reviews
from US$33.00*
San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge to...
278 Reviews
from US$55.00*
Special Offer
Golden Gate Bridge, Sutro Baths...
20 Reviews
from US$46.40*
US$58.00
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
19,001 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit Muni Map

Most visitors don't need the all-lines Muni map; most hotels will have a free color map that shows the most popular lines to get to Fisherman's Wharf, Golden Gate Bridge, etc.

But, having said that, I don't know if they sell it at SFO, but they do sell it at the Muni kiosk on Powell at Market (where the cable car turns around).

Mentioned in this post
Golden Gate Bridge
Golden Gate Bridge
42,017 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Fisherman's Wharf
Fisherman's Wharf
15,534 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
116 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transit Muni Map

Yes I just got one at the information booth near the baggage claim when I got our passports at SFO last month. I think it was around $3..

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transit Muni Map

Thanks, majCincinnati.

I'm trying not to micro manage this trip but like to know all my options for transit.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transit Muni Map

This came up not long ago. This site as a number of maps: http://www.baycityguide.com/maps/maps.html

Quite frankly the Muni map is more designed for locals than visitors (and these day with so many online resources I don't think that many locals own a Muni map). To its credit it's quite detailed, but then by necessity it's could cover five of your best friends. Waste of money IMO.

Keller, Texas
Level Contributor
283 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transit Muni Map

Is muni pass worth it in your opinion ? We will be there in 10 days for 3 days. Is it going to get us everywhere we need to go?

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
373 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transit Muni Map

If you have a laptop/netbook with you the muni trip planner works well to lay out your busses, subway, bart or cable car trip. easier than reading the detailed muni route map.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transit Muni Map

@Almostbrady ... Yes I think the Muni pass is definitely worth it. Read fittingfit's recent trip report -- even people who walk a lot get winded on SF's hills.

While much of the Muni Passport's economic value comes from the cable car fare ($5) and with cable cars being out of service, the replacement buses are run on regular Muni fare ($2) -- there's the convenience factor of not scrambling for dollar bills and shoving them into the fare box. Which also helps speed the bus along and makes locals less cranky and willing to help answer any questions you have. :)

Not to mention the intinsic value of being able to hop a bus for the last couple of blocks when you're pooped.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,981 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transit Muni Map

And, to add a few more items to Sal's list of intangible benefits of a MUNI Passport:

1. Hopping off a bus, streetcar, cable car, when you see something that interests you (without any consideration of it costing to get back on);

2. Not worrying about your transfer expiring or having to pay an additional fare if it happened to have expired;

3. Want to "run" back to drop stuff off at the hotel, pick up something you forgot, take a little nap or . . . no problemo;

4. Not really tired, but not looking forward to schlepping up that next hill . . . wait here comes a bus . . . let's just ride it to the top of the hill;

5. *Never* even having to worry about having change, small bills, etc for the next fare;

6. Even if you don't "use it all" (i.e. it doesn't end up saving you money), the difference is probably only going to be a few dollars/person for the entire trip, hardly a major expense when your hotel is probably costing you over well over $100/night.

And, I'm sure there are others we haven't mentioned,

Back to the original topic, personally, I'd say a MUNI map is worth it, but that's partially because I think they're one of the better maps of the city (and I'm a cartophile), plus it's only a few bucks . . . .

hlo

Edited: 16 May 2011, 19:30
Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Transit Muni Map

I have found the (sizable) Muni map very useful in many past (non-hotel) visits , very convenient for finding out how to get from one (spontaneous) place to another around town

(but I was also not travelling with a laptop or carrying a smartphone --- yeah, yeah, yeah....imadinosaur ;-0

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transit Muni Map

If you have a computer or smartphone with you, you can download the Muni system maps at: http://www.sfmta.com

All major bus stops have the map posted inside the shelther, so you probably won't have to carry it around with you anyway. That is, unless you venture into one of the residential neighborhoods where the bus stops don't have shelters.

Edited: 16 May 2011, 20:11