We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf with kids

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
87 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel in San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf with kids

We are taking our kids to San Francisco for the first time (they are 5 & 7) and thought Fisherman's Wharf was probably the best place to find a hotel - any suggestions?

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,952 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf with kids

What features are you looking for in a hotel? Or price range? The Wharf has many major chains... Marriott, Sheraton, Holiday Inn, Hyatt, etc. Most are low-rise, fairly standard hotels.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,013 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf with kids

The Tuscan seems to be the best affordable hotel there.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf with kids

Since "best" tells us nothing about your needs or budget ... the Argonaut is without a doubt the best hotel at Fisherman's Wharf ... IMO anyway. Mostly because it's as far away from the absolute horror story that FW has become. (Think absolute tourist schlock ... then double it times two.) If the entire area could be towed out to sea and blown up I doubt anyone living here would miss it.

The Tuscan, mentioned above, gets good mention here also.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,013 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf with kids

FW is fine if you have kids.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,604 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf with kids

Actually with young kids I would much rather be at the Embarcadero at hotels like the Hotel Vitale, Hotel Griffon, the Harbor Court Hotel and maybe the Hyatt Regency.

The Embarcadero has better transportation options, better dining and is I think just a nicer area.

Spring Lake...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel in San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf with kids

I was considering Hyatt Regency - is it really good for kids? I read that it is an awesome hotel, but for business, not really kids. Is there any kid related activities there or right around there?

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,013 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel in San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf with kids

I don't think kids would enjoy the Embarcadero as much as Fisherman's Wharf.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
87 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel in San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf with kids

Features I am looking for in a hotel are - about typical Marriott quality of room, in a generally safe area of town, ability to walk to some attractions so my kids are constantly getting in and out of taxis or the trolley, kid friendly food options nearby or in the hotel itself, parking (we will have a rental car as we are traveling to visit relatives after)

Is there a better area of town to stay in with kids than Fisherman's Wharf? I am looking for a safe area of town near all the major attractions that kids would like to see - i.e., Alcatraz, trolley cars, Seals, Golden Gate Bridge, walk through China Town. At this age, my kids have little patience for getting different places - they just want to be there.

Thanks for the help and suggestions

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel in San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf with kids

And for the third time, may be have a budget? A Marriott in SF may cost a lot more than what you're used to in Pittsburg. Be aware also that hotel tax in SF is about 15%.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,872 posts
1,771 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel in San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf with kids

Look at the Holiday inn or Holiday inn Express.