We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Security status about Oakland CA

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
shanghai
11 posts
Save Topic
Security status about Oakland CA

I will take a flight to OAK airport at about 21:00pm, I think maybe it is better to have a hotel in Oakland, but, I heard that it is not safe in Oakland. I want to know the security status near West MacArthur Boulevard Oakland (California), CA 94609. Is this area safe for a foreign tourist from Asia? Thank you.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Security status about Oakland CA

What hotel is on West MacArthur Blvd? If you want a hotel in Oakland, I would stay in Jack London Square, the City Center Marriott, or one of the airport hotels on Hegenberger. I think all of those are relatively safe. I would just be extra conservative and cautious in my actions.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,597 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Security status about Oakland CA

It's difficult to know for sure unless you give us the name of the hotel, but generally, that area is not good.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Security status about Oakland CA

Are you visiting Oakland or just planning to spend your first night there after your late night arrival?

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Security status about Oakland CA

First things first, Oakland is just like any American city in a metropolitan area. There are nice parts and not-so-nice parts. West MacArthur Blvd. falls into the latter category.

I am not aware of any hotels in that area. Are you referring to the Bay Bridge Inn? This is not a "hotel" that any tourist should be in.

You will not save much time by staying at an airport hotel and then heading to San Francisco the next day. Just go straight to SF if that is your destination (unless you expect to be REALLY tired after your travels). Stay in Oakland if your destination is Oakland.

There are countless hotels in the Union Square area of SF, many of which are a short walk from Powell BART Station. To get there, take AirBART or AC Transit Route 73 from OAK to the Coliseum BART Station, then a BART train going to San Francisco/Daly City (NOT Richmond, Fremont, or Dublin/Pleasanton). See http://www.bart.gov and http://www.actransit.org for more information.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,174 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Security status about Oakland CA

Is your trip primarily to visit or do business in Oakland? If so, don't stay anywhere on MacArthur. There may be a few hidden gems, but there are a lot of hooker and drug havens there. Stay near the airport, downtown, or Jack London Square (except for the Jack London Inn on West Embarcadero, which TA rated as America's second dirtiest hotel last year).

If your real destination is San Francisco, choose a hotel here and go directly from the airport. As dav said, there is ample transportation that goes to or near major downtown and Fisherman's Wharf hotels. If BART doesn't stop near a particular hotel, cabs are available all the time. You can arrive any time; all the major hotels have 24-hour front desks.

If you stay in Oakland and plan on moving to S.F. the next day, it means time wasted to pack and check out, get yourself and your bags across the Bay, find your new hotel, and check in. You'll trash a whole morning doing that. If you were already in San Francisco, you'd wake up fresh, have a leisurely breakfast, and be enjoying yourself all morning instead of messing around with packing and moving.

shanghai
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Security status about Oakland CA

Thank you very much for your kind reply, I will change my idea to reserve a hotel in SF.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,597 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Security status about Oakland CA

Please let us know which SF hotels you are considering before you actually reserve a room. We'll keep you away from unsafe parts of town.

shanghai
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Security status about Oakland CA

Thank you all for your kind replies, I have changed my idea to reserve a hotel in SF.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,174 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Security status about Oakland CA

What Simba means is that as you find hotels that interest you, let us know which ones before you reserve. People here will know about them and what the neighborhoods are like.

When is your trip? San Francisco gets lots of tourism and conventions, which can affect the cost and availability of hotels. The earlier you start planning, the more choices you have.

shanghai
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Security status about Oakland CA

I am looking for the hotel near Jones Street, Nob Hill, I have found that the price is around $95 per night from Aug 18 to 21.