We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

coast starlight - where to sit?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Weston-super-Mare...
Level Contributor
27 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
coast starlight - where to sit?

I am about to book the Coast Starlight from San Francisco (Oakland) to LA. We intend to have a roomette and I would like to know how I can make sure we book one on the appropriate side of the train so we get Ocean views. Can anyone help please?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: coast starlight - where to sit?

That would be the west side, or the "right" side of the train, as it is headed southbound.

Weston-super-Mare...
Level Contributor
27 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: coast starlight - where to sit?

Thanks

Level Contributor
217 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: coast starlight - where to sit?

No way of knowing what side of the train your roomette will be on. The car maybe turned at any time. Best bet to get best views is to go to the sightseer lounge. The Coast Starlight a very popular train. You also may not be able to pick your roomette . [ Read never, or almost never. ] Its the luck of the draw. Again go to the lounge.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: coast starlight - where to sit?

The roomettes are on one side with the aisle on the other side of the car. Chuck...

Weston-super-Mare...
Level Contributor
27 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: coast starlight - where to sit?

Pot luck then. Thanks for the info

Keasbey, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: coast starlight - where to sit?

when i took it last may. i arrived super early to check in (i was like the 3rd in line) and i got to pick which side of the train i wanted to sit in (i dont know if they allow the same process for roomettes).

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
570 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: coast starlight - where to sit?

When I had a roommette on a different route, I picked it, and paid for a roommette #XX. There was no "turning" and I knew where in the car I will be located.

Sightseer lounge is good, large windows, but we had a TV going on loud, this took away from observation.

Weston-super-Mare...
Level Contributor
27 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: coast starlight - where to sit?

Getting there early is certainly a good idea. I'll do that and the sightseer lounge is always an alternative. Thanks

Level Contributor
217 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: coast starlight - where to sit?

Cars are " turned" for many reasons at anytime. Bad ordering to repair the car. Replacement of a car. Ect. For these reasons you would not want to bet a house payment where your seat or sleeper room will be. It will be the same seat or room number, but not faceing the same direction of travel you expected. [ IE same side of the train. ] No more TV's in the lounge by the way. Pax are also required to use ear buds for thier own devices.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,851 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: coast starlight - where to sit?

There is no need to book a roomette for this trip. There is no overnight portion between SF and LA, so the $101 additional will get you nothing more than free meals. The coach seating is spacious, and you'll likely want to spend a portion of your journey in the lounge or dining cars anyway.

P.S. Assuming you are staying at a hotel in SF, book your reservation from the appropriate SF bus stop. The San Francisco Shopping Center location is very close to Union Square. If you book tickets from Oakland only, you will have to find your way there at your own expense. The SF bus tickets do not increase the reservation cost, which is running $68 (coach) at the moment.