We have been lurking on this forum for a couple months now taking in all the valuable advice and tips. We have just returned from out 4 night stay in San Francisco and it was a wonderful experience. The information posted in this forums were most helpful to us. Thank you... especially to the locals who spend so much time on here helping us out. :)
We are not going to post our itinerary, but if you're interested in seeing some of our pictures, check it out here:
Some tips from this forum we found helpful:
- Buy a Muni 3 or 5 day passport. You can get this at the airport, but we forgot and ended up buying it from the ticket booth by Powell and Market street. Well worth it!
- The cable cars are generally jam packed with tourists and at the turntables, long lineups. For us, we did not want to deal with that so we took the California street line near the Ferry Building to get the "experience". No lineups and much less busy.
- Cable Car Museum should not be overlooked. The original cars are on display plus fully functional machines operating to show how the whole cable system works. Amazing! And it's free!
- Fisherman's Wharf is packed and I mean packed with people. Nice to spend some time there but it's a tourist trap. We are glad we stayed at Union Square as recommended by so many on this forum. Thanks again!
- Alcatraz is easily the absolute must do in San Francisco. Buy the tickets early as they sell out fast. Buy from the official site alcatrazcruises.com and if you can, buy months ahead to make sure you get tickets!
- At times you will be warm and others you will be cold. Dress in layers as it can get chilly/windy very quickly. Even downtown, it can get chilly as the wind funnels through some of the streets. Along the bay and particlarly Alcatraz and Golden Gate Bridge were chilly and very windy.