We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

doorman and tipping

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
doorman and tipping

I've done a search as I know tipping is asked a lot.

I didn't realise that workers are taxed on their tips - that is insane. I'm glad I read that as I'm from Australia where people get proper wages and tipping is something to do if people do an excellent job. I am glad I read about the culture in the US before I went.

I think I'm fine on cab tips and restaurant tips from searching but i have a question about the doorman.

At my hotel there is a doorman, do I tip him when I first arrive when he opens the door or do I tip him if he gets me a cab or tells me directions etc?

How do people do it in a good way which isn't patronising?

Chambermaids - I know the amount but do I leave the money on the bed or with a little note?

Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: doorman and tipping

One more thing - if I ask the person at the front desk for directions / buses etc - do I tip them? If so, do I just hand them some money or is their a jar? I'm sorry if these sound like funny questions but I don't want to offend anyone and they think I'm being patronising or giving them a tip when they don't need one for that part of their job.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,392 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: doorman and tipping

You don't tip the folks at the front desk.

You don't tip a doorman for just opening the door each time.

You tip a person if he carries your luggage.

You might tip the concierge if they get you theater tix or hard to get restaurant res.

As for the maid in your room you can leave money wherever you like that is in plain sight so she will know it is meant for her! You can also give it directly to her if you prefer.

BTW this goes for all of the USA not just in San Francisco.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: doorman and tipping

Thank you.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: doorman and tipping

If the doorman gets you a taxi, you do tip. But not just to open the door.

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: doorman and tipping

I suggest $3.00 or $4.00 US for the maid.

For the doorman $1.00 per suit case.

Taxi's 15 to 20%

Tip for writing the above o never mind have a good trip.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
18,163 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: doorman and tipping

Tip jars are for counter personnel at coffee shops like Starbucks, cafes where it is self-service, etc.

To tip anyone else in person, if you're doing a cash transaction (like paying a restaurant check), simply leave the tip in the payment folder or on the table. To tip someone like the doorman, simply fold up the bill and hold it out. I used to worry about palming it and making it invisible... no need to go to such lengths.

It might not seem like a big deal, but lots of visitors from other countries never bother to learn what the custom is here, so thank you for asking!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,665 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: doorman and tipping

And....if you have valet parking, you only tip when they bring the car back. A couple of dollars.

NEVER tip a front desk person. Only tip a concierge if he/she does something special for you, like getting theater seats or restaurant reservations. Don't tip for simple information. That is what they are there for...."where is the bus to xxx".

And as mentioned, a doorman does not get a tip for opening the door, only if he runs out into the traffic and flags a cab for you. :~)

Restaurants. If you are paying by credit card, there will be a place on the credit slip to add a tip, if you choose to do so, and you probably will. ;~)

Chambermaids. Often you will find a little note in your room, saying something like...."your room was prepared with pride by Alicia". Not, often, but sometimes, there will be an envelope with it. Not all persons in the US tip the chambermaid, but we prefer to do it on a daily basis if we are going to be in a hotel for more than a day because we do not know if the chambermaid who is serving us will be back tomorrow, or another one will.

After reading all of the questions from Aussies about tipping I am sure that we were the most popular tourists in Australia in restaurants and hotels when we went there because we tipped by US standards.

Don't worry, be happy. It is not the end of the world if you don't tip, and the so=called "rules" are flexible.

It IS true that food service workers in the US are paid a minimum wage and the Internal Revenue Service makes them pay taxes on their tips. I don't know how this is figured, but I think that they assume a dollar number based on their wages.

Have a good trip.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
21,738 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: doorman and tipping

No need to tip the concierge for getting you a restaurant recommendation. He/she gets a commission from the restaurant. Don't tip the doorman. Tip only the person who carries your luggage to your room (and you can definitely say no if you don't need help). I often see people recommend leaving a tip for the hotel maids once a day. I find that crazy. I have never left a tip for the hotel maids.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,392 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: doorman and tipping

It is customary to leave a tip for the maids in a hotel.

You can always choose to do it or not as you see fit but it IS a typical thing to do. It doesn't matter how you do it. Some people leave it as they leave. Some people leave it each day. We don't necessarily have the maid clean our room every day of a visit and so we sometimes just give it directly to her when she does something for us.

Really it is up to you what you feel most comfortable doing.(or not)

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: doorman and tipping

We always leave a few dollars under the pillow each day and rooms are kept very clean. I also left a note asking for a bathrobe with tip and it worked. We left unused metro tickets at hotel in DC.