We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family friendly hotel in San Francisco

Townsville...
Level Contributor
100 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Family friendly hotel in San Francisco

Hi all,

Australian family of 4 (2 kids - 7 &10) staying for 4 nights in Feb 2012. I was originally thinking Radisson at fisherman's warf but reviews don't look good. Even though location is great, I don't want to be uncomfortable for 4 nights. also, don't want to stay in a concrete box. My kids need a bit of room on the grounds for a stroll. Lots of activities are planned alcatraz, Sausalito, Moma, Golden Gate Park, ice-skating, bowling & eating! . Is there another suggestion for hotel that is family friendly, attractive with good location near good food. .Budget is $200 -$250 per night approx.

Any advice would be appreciated.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family friendly hotel in San Francisco

I don't know if a pool is important but at Fisherman's Wharf the hotels with pool are the Radisson, Sheraton and Holiday Inn. I think the nicest place at the Wharf is the Argonuat followed by the Tuscan Inn. The rest trail badly with the Wharf Inn and Radisson on my "never" list.

There are lots of things that make the Argonuat nice ... being in an old historic building is one. But another is that is located at the west end of Fisherman's Wharf. There is a large park just across the street which gives out to the bay and a small beach. It's also right at the end of the Hyde Street cable car line. By far the best place at the Wharf.

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family friendly hotel in San Francisco

Your combination of needs/wants (no concrete box, bit of room on the grounds for a stroll) is exceedingly difficult to find in a metropolitan city such as San Francisco, where land for strolling is at a premium. . . and even land itself is at a premium!

If you were flexible enough for renting a car (hiring a car) so that you could drive to a park in San Francisco, that would help. I'm guessing since you are from Australia that you are averse to the right hand driving we do here, though.

Another way to be flexible to get that "room for a stroll" is to stay at the American Youth Hostel in Fort Mason. I've stayed there plenty of times, and there are several acres of grassy area to play and romp in. . . or just take a stroll. But my guess is that you are not wanting to stay at a hostel, either.

So I don't have any solution for you. Getting out of San Francisco will yield some more options, though you will have to deal with traveling to San Francisco. It can be done if you stay out of the city for a short distance. I'd look at Marin County for starters.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
61,949 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family friendly hotel in San Francisco

>>My kids need a bit of room on the grounds for a stroll.<< San Francisco is very pedestrian-friendly, even with all the hills. I like RamblinSal's idea of staying at the edge of Fisherman's Wharf, away from the mania and tourist-trap shops.

There are also other SF neighborhoods that are kid-friendly, have non-concrete-box hotels, and are located near food.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
100 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family friendly hotel in San Francisco

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time for reply. As I am unsure of the quality of the Radisson for a 4 night stay. I'll take advice and look elsewhere. The Argonaut looks beautiful. I thought it would have been very expensive but the rates seem reasonable for the quality. I'm also looking at Union Square area. Still hard to decide as each area has benfits. I read that Fisherman's Warf was a good family area. We plan on returning the hire car after our drive to SF from Yosemite. I felt that there is enough to do around the city using public transport or tour buses.

One more more question - I read that there is ice skating and bowling in or near the Ferry Building. Is that right? Are they good venues and easy to get to.

Cheers

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family friendly hotel in San Francisco

The ice skating and bowling (Skate Bowl) is at Yerba Buena Gardens. It's not at the Ferry Building but not far ... very near the MOMA and not too far from Union Square. From Fisherman's Wharf accessible via the F-Market & Wharves historic trolley. http://www.skatebowl.com/

If the Argonaut is in your budget I would grab it. As I said earlier, it's the best place at the Wharf and has a lovely location.

Edited: 27 July 2011, 01:18
Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,112 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family friendly hotel in San Francisco

If I were to stay at FW I would pick the Argonaut too.

Another possibility for that 'room for a stroll' is the Hyatt Regency at the Embarcadero. There is a small park/plaza adjacent to the hotel and the Embarcadero is right across the street.

You also have better quality dining options with the Ferry Building across the street too.

There is great transportation options from there too including the never crowded California Street Cable Car line.

Patterson...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Family friendly hotel in San Francisco

We live 3 hours from SF and love staying at the Serrano Hotel on Taylor. Been there 3 times in 2 years. It's somewhat near Union Square and across the street from the Hilton. http://www.serranohotel.com/index.html It is a beautiful boutique hotel but don't let the upscale ambiance scare you away. They have plenty of board games the kids can play in the lobby. My girls and I played Boggle for hours talking and laughing well into the night and no one complained. There is a asain restaurant in the hotel with a full bar. They offer a wine reception in the evening and a simple continental breakfast. (Though our breakfast choice is "Dottie's. Popular place. The restaurant seats about 40 people so the wait can be 45 minutes (outside) but well worth it.) Don't let "bad neighborhood" reviews scare you. Within 4 square blocks there are many nice hotels and they all share the same seedy neighborhood. You can walk to the very popular "trolly turn around" (I think at the top of Market Street) and take the trolly to the Warf or Pier 39 or any stop along the way. Be prepared to wait in line for the trolly and it's a bit crowded so you have to just jump right on. Well worth it to ride on this historic landmark! My oldest daughter is planning another trip there and is disappointed they are full on her days. I hope this helps. Have a great time!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,441 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family friendly hotel in San Francisco

The Serrano is not near a park or open space.

I, also would jump at the Argonaut.

canberra, australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family friendly hotel in San Francisco

Our family of 5 visited San Francisco in July 2011 and stayed two nights at the Radisson on the Wharf. We were very satisfied with our rooms (had to get 2 interconnecting rooms) - beds were comfy, everything was very clean etc. We even had a view of Alcatraz from the windows. What we liked best was the feeling of excitement, "being part of the action" on the wharf. Our children's ages are 9, 16 and 21 and the older two loved the buzz around the place and the way we could be at the wharf in an instant. We didn't appreciate the steep parking fee, though!

In our two days there we did a "Urban Safari" tour and visited Alcatraz, then we were off to Yosemite , where we stayed 4 nights.

It was really cold and windy in SF while we were there, we really had to rug up whenever we ventured outside. I was amazed at the open fire pits all around the place in the height of summer! Wow!

Alcatraz was an amazing place, we thought the audio tour was wonderful. Our kids would have liked to have stayed longer, so we could visit Muir Woods and Sausalito and venture into Union Square. We didn't have time to do those things but we did experience a taste of San Francisco during our tour. Pity the Golden Gate Bridge was shrouded in fog for our photo opportunity! It really is a very beautiful city though.

However whenever you make a trip overseas you have to make decisions and compromises, we chose to stay longer at Yosemite and then we flew to New York and so it was impossible to fit everything in!

Next time, if there is one, I would like to stay longer in SF and I would be happy to stay at the Radisson again. For the price, I think it was very good.

Have a great trip!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,441 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family friendly hotel in San Francisco

This is a very old thread. I am interested to hear wher OP stayed and have a review.

tkjs68....are you out there?