We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SF to Yosemite, is this doeable?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stoke on Trent...
Level Contributor
688 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
SF to Yosemite, is this doeable?

We are leaving SF for Yosemite on a Tuesday morning and will just drive to get there asap. We can't decide if we need to leave SF really early, say 6.30am or if we'd be ok waiting until 9am to miss the worst of the rush hour. We realise that it will still be busy after 9am, but would it be significantly quieter going earlier around 6.30am?

Our plan is to visit the Mariposa Grove first. Hubby will have a disabled placard so we will follow the tour tram with the car. We will need to find lunch somewhere (thought about taking a picnic into the Mariposa Grove) and we are then heading for Glacier Point.

Hubby is going to wait for me while I hike Sentinel Dome and hopefully Taft Point and we'll stay at GP for sunset. We are booked into the Lodge at the falls that evening.

My preference is to get off really early and stop for breakfast once we'd got out of the city, but hubby would appreciate a later start as we'd have been up early the previous day. Could you settle the dispute please and advise one way or the other LOL

Edited: 30 July 2011, 09:05
England
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SF to Yosemite, is this doeable?

I posted a question on the best route to Yosemite from SF a few days back, and got some good info. So I will be interested in the replies to yours. we intend to enter the park by othe NW gate and leave via Mariposa Grove

Have a great trip

Stoke on Trent...
Level Contributor
688 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SF to Yosemite, is this doeable?

Yes, Trickster9, I saw that, great for the route part, it was very helpful. I see that you fly next weekend, have a great trip! We won't be too far behind you, we fly Sept 11th to Vegas.

England
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SF to Yosemite, is this doeable?

We're almost neighbours!

Do you actualy know Robbie Williams?

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
885 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SF to Yosemite, is this doeable?

I only drove from SF to Yosemite once but it would seem that in the morning most of the traffic would be headed towards SF. Personnally I'd go as early as possible and get to the park to start enjoying the splendor.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SF to Yosemite, is this doeable?

You will be going against traffic in the morning in the Bay Area even leaving at 9AM.

But if you're early birds anyway, I'd get an early start and have more of the day at Yosemite.

Stoke on Trent...
Level Contributor
688 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SF to Yosemite, is this doeable?

"We're almost neighbours!

Do you actualy know Robbie Williams?"

LOL, he's just from our town and crops up in the local newpaper from time to time:-) Just a local lad that sings a bit.

Thank you all for your replies, I had hoped that as we would be going against the flow of traffic it would be quieter, but you never know. Hubby has now decided he'd like to go over the San Mateo bridge again as he liked it last time when we did the journey the opposite way to get back to SFO. Seems longer to me, but actually is only about another 20 miles. I'm the early bird, he just gets dragged along with me, but I have to compromise sometimes. So maybe the San Mateo Bridge can be one of those...."we'll go that way if you get up early to do it" :-)

Thanks again, it is so much appreciated.

Edited: 30 July 2011, 15:59
san francisco
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SF to Yosemite, is this doeable?

Yes this trip is completely doable and is done on a daily basis by most tour operators in san francisco. It is about a 4 hour drive and they all leave at 7:00 am

Stoke on Trent...
Level Contributor
688 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SF to Yosemite, is this doeable?

Thanks Ghermez, that is reassuring.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,447 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SF to Yosemite, is this doeable?

Traffic can be heavy heading south to the San Mateo Bridge. A lot of people who live in SF and its southern suburbs drive to their jobs in Silicon Valley. The San Mateo Bridge is between the two.

Who's Robbie Williams? I know of Robin Williams, who lives in SF.

Stoke on Trent...
Level Contributor
688 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SF to Yosemite, is this doeable?

Robbie is a famous singer in the UK who is from my home town. I think he got married a year or so in LA (may have a home there too, not sure). I'm not a follower. He was/is in the group Take That. Thanks for the info on the traffic. I'll use it to my advantage :-) He'll have to get up early now!