We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

san francisco

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
11 posts
Save Topic
san francisco

Husband and I will be there for a couple weeks. We have done the "tourist" things last time. Alcatraz, Pier, Bridge walk, Chinatown, Sonoma wineries, so... what other things can we walk about and see and do that are not on the major tourist attraction list? Husband is ADHD .. needs to be out and doing :) we will be staying in the California and Leavenworth area. no car... i know this is pretty broad request... but looking for something to do vs. just wandering around. any good restaurants ( good as in good food not necessarily in very pricey ) in that area too.. dine in or take out. thanks ahead of time - we are in our 50's... if that makes any difference. :)

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,021 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: san francisco

How about go see a show? Beach Blanket Babylon is a touristy show. There are other broadway type shows. Golden Gate Park has lots of things to do, couple of museums, Japanese garden, etc. Lands End to watch the sunset. Marina district for shopping and eating.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: san francisco

Yep, it's pretty broad. There are *hundreds* of non-touristy things you *could* do and, while you gave some indication (e.g. not touristy) you could refine that a little more.

As far as things to do; do you like/dislike: movies, theatre, music, nature, shopping, museums, walking around, history, comedy clubs, etc. (and for many of these a "what kind" followup). Giving more information about what you'd want/not want to do will generally get you more & better responses.

Similar comment about your restaurant question - although on this note I will give the general suggestion of getting out of downtown and into the neighborhoods for a more varied dining experience.

Beyond that a few ideas that come to mind off the top of my head: I'll second GG Park you can easily spend a day in it doing the museums, walking around, gardens, people watching, paddle boat rental, etc; catch an old film at the Castro Theatre (or one of the other rep/art houses), simply pick a neighborhood & check it out; see if there are any bands at one of the clubs that might interest you, check out Japantown or maybe the lower Haight (as opposed to Chinatown & upper Haight), while the zoo's not really world class check it out; maybe head over & do something in the east (or south) bay areas . . . .

Hope to be able to suggest more later,

hlo

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,644 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: san francisco

You could also head towards Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur for a few days.

I also enjoed the DeYoung museum in GG park -especially the tower with it's amazing views.

Another forum member suggested using www.goldstar.com for discount tickets to events, etc... This may give you some ideas too.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
3,839 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: san francisco

Take a look at www.sfcityguides.org

They have lots of 1 1/2 - 2 hour walking tours all over town. Look at the lists and pick out the ones that appeal to you. The tours are free but they do ask for donations. It is operated by the SF library.

How about a Giants game?

California
Level Contributor
460 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: san francisco

You could consider my favorite walk. It begins in on Grant Avenue and continues through Chinatown to Broadway and North Beach to Columbus and downhill to Fisherman's Wharf. From there you turn left and go out to the Marina and the Palace of Fine Arts. This takes you through the City and around the hills rather than over them.

I have a New Yorker husband with a short attention span who enjoys this.

Michigan
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: san francisco

thanks to you all for your comments. have found some new ideas here and in another post i came across. My daughter is having a baby and that is our main reason for going out , but want to be able to get out and about also. Did not get to SFMOMA yet , will try that . possibly take the BART to Berkley ? other strand said something about Ocean Beach and windmills? Cliff House. not sure but may see what that is about. and the 400 steps to Coit Tower. ??? that should keep us ( him) busy .. me, I plan to hold that baby as much as possible :) willl have to look for some good take out places for dinners. thanks all !!

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: san francisco

Berkeley is known as the birthplace of California cuisine, and it's worth coming over and eating a meal at Chez Panisse if you can afford it. The "main" part serves a prix fixe dinner at $60-95 per person depending on the night, and is a real experience. The cafe is a good, quality restaurant with entrees in the $20-30 range. If you like walking around college campuses, you can look at the University of California campus, there are also historic buildings and many other good restaurants.

There's a windmill near the western end of Golden Gate Park, near Ocean Beach. Ocean Beach isn't all that compared to other California beaches (often cold and with a bad rip current in the water), but it's fine if you really want to hit the beach, or if it gets really hit.

Coit Tower is great IMHO, it provides a terrific view even from the bottom, even better if you pay $3 to ride up to the top. There's a wonderful set of murals on the ground floor about California life in 1934. You don't have to tell your husband, but there is a Muni bus you can take up to the base of the tower.

There's a tiny Vietnamese restaurant--Cordon Bleu--at 1574 California, between Larkin and Polk, right by where you're staying. Everybody loves it despite its downscale looks. You could eat there at one of the few tables, but you could certainly take out too.

It wouldn't hold up against a good eastern deli, but Miller's East Coast West at 1725 Polk at Washington St. is decent by local standards and seems like another good takeout candidate.

Michigan
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: san francisco

thanks "wanderer"/ Yes, we do like to walk college campuses so that might be a good day trip to leave the new parents for some alone time. thanks . and that deli.. i am pretty sure I have eaten there. If it is what I think , I bought a sub and took it and my book to a nearby park up a hill (?) for lunch one day last March. There were two deli's across the street from each other so not sure which one I ate at... thanks for the info.. will look into that tower too. wish that baby would come so we could get out there :)

9. Re: san francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 03:15