We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabs after Alcatraz Night Tour

Jersey Girl
Level Contributor
66 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Cabs after Alcatraz Night Tour

What's the best way to get back to Lombard Street after the Alcatraz night tour? Safe to walk? Cabs available?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabs after Alcatraz Night Tour

Others may disagree (and I haven't been to SF since 2009) but I'd say it's very safe to walk. I've never felt unsafe walking around but I do stick to more well-lit areas and main streets and I haven't really been out and about much later than 9:30-10:00 pm.

I guess it might depend on where on Lombard and I'm sure the locals will confirm what I say or correct me if I'm wrong.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabs after Alcatraz Night Tour

I recall member Puter reporting back that they waited quite some time to flag a cab after the Alcatraz night tour.

Walking would be quite safe (normal big city care, of course).

If you are talking about getting back to the "motel row" section of Lombard, that is a bit of a hike. You can walk through Fisherman's Wharf and catch the 30-Stockton on Columbus between Bay and North Point (in front of the Marriott). Be sure its destination is "Broderick" ... some make a turnaround at Van Ness which is only a few blocks on.

PA
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabs after Alcatraz Night Tour

It was impossible to get a cab after our night tour of Alcatraz. There are pedicabs there that will take you to Fisherman's Wharf, but we just walked. From FW it is much easier to get a cab.

Level Contributor
20 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabs after Alcatraz Night Tour

Hi sorry to hijack the thread but I wanted to ask the same question but returning to Union sq. Read somewhere to get the f line about a block away from the pier? Will this be ok? How long will it take to get back? Figuring we should eat dinner before we go to Alcatraz?

Thanks;)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabs after Alcatraz Night Tour

Trinity, yes you can catch the F in the middle of the Embarcadero at Bay St.

Jersey Girl
Level Contributor
66 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabs after Alcatraz Night Tour

Thanks! Our hotel is next to the Presidio.....would that still be the 30?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cabs after Alcatraz Night Tour

J ... yes it will be the 30. The 30 goes along Chestnut Street and turns right on Broderick. If you are close to the Presidio you will likely get off on Chestnut at Broderick before the turn. And then walk to your hotel.

Chestnut is one block north of Lombard. Broderick is two blocks east of the Presidio.

Jersey Girl
Level Contributor
66 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cabs after Alcatraz Night Tour

Really appreciate the info, RamblinSal!

9. Re: Cabs after Alcatraz Night Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 11:20