We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only 1-2 hours for Muir Woods

Utah
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Topic
Only 1-2 hours for Muir Woods

Going to be in San Francisco next week and I would like to visit Muir Woods; however, I will only have 1-2 hours to visit it (not including driving time). Is it worth going there for only 1-2 hours? What things should I see/do in that little amount of time?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,485 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only 1-2 hours for Muir Woods

Please spend time looking through the forums (via search) or google Muir Woods and you can see all the image and views and then decide for yourself. It is hard for someone who does not know you to recommend whether one should see it or not. if you are going to Santa Cruz or Sonoma or even Yosemite then there are other places to see Redwoods. if you are not then this is perhaps your closest spot to see them if you want to.

A couple of hours in quite sufficient to see them as long as you go early morning and not waste time finding parking

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,717 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only 1-2 hours for Muir Woods

Consider yourself fortunate to have an hour or two. :)

I am presently in Death Valley working as a National Park volunteer. It is the size of Connecticut, or of Luxembourg and Lebanon combined. People come into the Visitor Center from all over the world after crossing oceans or continents to get here, and have only a few hours to see it, and some of them want to see it AND get to Yosemite (6 hours) or Sequoia (7 hours or so) the same night. The other day, some folks wanted to see it and reach San Francisco (550 miles) that night.

Muir Woods is not huge. You can enjoy quite a bit of it, get a feel for what the forest floor of a redwood forest is like (shady and cool), walk along the creek and maybe take a trail or two off the beaten path. You can also drop into the Visitor Center and see exhibits about the park and a 3-d scale model.

From most of San Francisco, it's a half hour or less, so you can get there early and beat the tourist rush.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Only 1-2 hours for Muir Woods

I think that's about as long as we stayed, on each of our two trips.

California
Level Contributor
460 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Only 1-2 hours for Muir Woods

YES! It's well worth the time. There are paths through the redwood forest that can easily be seen in a couple of hours. Just wander off the main path if there are too many people.

To get a good idea of what it looks like, watch the movie, "Vertigo" which takes place in the SF Bay area, including Muir Woods.

5. Re: Only 1-2 hours for Muir Woods

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 20:15