We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Options on a Tuesday...

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Options on a Tuesday...

I'm arriving into SFO on Monday, October 24 at 11:20am and departing from SFO on Tuesday, October 25 at 6:20pm.

My Monday is pretty well sorted: Visit CHINATOWN and NORTH BEACH on foot; take the ALCATRAZ NIGHT TOUR (already booked); dinner at SOTTO MARE SEAFOOD RESTAURANT; stay at the SAN FRANCISCO DOWNTOWN HOSTEL.

For Tuesday I plan to start early: Breakfast at PINECREST DINER; take the CABLE CAR and walk to GRACE CATHEDRAL (arriving around 7:30am which is about sunrise); take the CABLE CAR to LOMBARD STREET; arrive Fisherman's Wharf between 8:30 and 9am; walk to end of MUNICIPAL PIER for views; visit SAN FRANCISCO MARITIME NATIONAL HISTORICAL PARK (including visitor's center, Hyde Street Pier and Maritime Museum). I'm guessing that this will take me to about 11am.

Then at end the day: 3pm visit to ASIAN ART MUSEUM; around 4:30pm BART to SFO; 6:20pm flight home

SO I have about 4 hours from 11am to 3pm between these plans to fill. Here are my current options:

OPTION 1: Take F-MARKET STREETCAR to Ferry Building; lunch at THE SLANTED DOOR; travel to and visit SFMOMA; travel to Asian Art Museum.

OPTION 2: Rent a bike from BLAZING SADDLES on Hyde Street visiting CRISSY FIELD and GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE (possibly crossing), picnic lunch (possibly rent bike on first arrival at Fisherman's Wharf area around 9am and before Maritime Park, skip walk to end of Municipal Pier and bike it instead); take F-MARKET STREETCAR to SFMOMA if time or straight on to Asian Art Museum if not enough time.

OPTION 3: GHIRADELLI SQUARE; Irish Coffee at BUENA VISTA CAFE; lunch at BOUDIN CAFE; PIER 45 (Musee Mecanique, USS Pampanito Submarine and, if time allows, S. S. Jeremiah O'Brien); travel to Asian Art Museum using F-MARKET STREETCAR.

OPTION 4 (least likely due to high amount of travel time): Travel to GOLDEN GATE PARK (will take about an hour); CONSERVATORY OF FLOWERS; DeYOUNG MUSEUM with lunch at cafe; JAPANESE TEA GARDEN; travel to Asian Art Museum.

Opinions? Option 5?

The only things I'm truly married to are to ride a cable car, a streetcar and to visit the Asian Art Museum. I want to do everything else I've listed but know that I don't have enough time for it all. I have no interest in the shopping aspect of Fisherman's Wharf, especially not Pier 39.

Keith

Edited: 12 August 2011, 20:36
West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Options on a Tuesday...

Oh, and I'm going to buy a MUNI 1 Day Passport for this Tuesday. I won't need one on the Monday.

Keith

Edited: 12 August 2011, 20:43
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Options on a Tuesday...

Depends what kind of person you are. If you're an outdoorsy active person, you will love the bike ride. It would be my #1 choice, but I'm not you of course.

IMHO GHIRADELLI SQUARE is boring. nothing much there except tourist traps.

Edited: 12 August 2011, 21:39
West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Options on a Tuesday...

@Simbot - thanks for the feedback. Probably leaning most to options 1 or 2 or some kind of combo of them. It's probably down to choosing between SFMOMA and the biking. Glad to know about Ghiradelli Square. Not interested in the shopping there. I thought it was a historic building somewhat repurposed and just thought I'd look around at it more than what's in it! Eminently skippable it seems.

Keith

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
51,972 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Options on a Tuesday...

I would also recommend Option 2, nothing like it to see Crissy Field and the bridge - as they say in the Mastercard advert Priceless. I saw some other posts on Slanted Door - Well imho, the Chef Charles Phan started it in the Mission and it was fantastic and then moved it to the Ferry Plaza where it was great for a few years. He's also opened other places and I was there a month or so ago and the place while still being packed and I think one of the top grossers in the City has lost its charm.

The only reason we go to Ghiradelli square is to have the hot fudge sundaes -- other than that it is a tourist trap imho as was mentioned before

I dont know the Vietnamese scene in chicagoland having moved out of Chicago when the Bears were champs :-) so if there are no great places then please go ahead and try it

Edited: 12 August 2011, 23:17
AZ
Level Contributor
3,675 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Options on a Tuesday...

You have quite a packed schedule (or two) and mostly I would just caution to give yourself enough time for a bit of discovery, which can be the best part of the city. I have been planning on walking to the GG bridge for the last 2 trips and ended up not doing it, so it is in the plans for this time. For me, another stop in at the Buena Vista is on the list too.

Last time, we were at the Wharf on our way to the bridge but had some blues music summon us to Lou's, so that is what we ended up doing instead and it is a very happy memory - just don't be surprised if something like that happens to you too :-)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,358 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Options on a Tuesday...

I agree with laketime.

And since your schedule is so packed, I would just relax a little around Crissy Field.

While we have eaten at the Pinecrest for breakfast many times, lately we found Cafe Mason, down the street, and a couple of doors from your hostel, which is larger (less crowded) and has a more interesting menu.

(Also, for some reason, it has exceptionally pretty waitresses who seem to be French, or something.)

You have done a lot of research.....have a great trip.

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Options on a Tuesday...

@belomiser - thanks for the feedback, especially on biking and Crissy Field. I'm pretty much settling on that. I'll have a rethink on The Slanted Door, but still might give it a go. (It's in a good location for my "plan" being a convenient destination via the Streetcar, which I do want to ride...I will be a tourist after all!) "...when the Bears were champs.." So, it's been awhile? :)

@laketimeAZ - yeah, this is a packed plan...which is what I always do in advance just to maximize the possibilities...but I never feel bound to it when I'm actually on the trip. I, too, get sidetracked and have rarely actually pulled up one of my plans exactly...always gives a reason to go back. I think renting the bike is going to be the very thing that's needed.

@Puter - thanks for yet another vote for the biking/Crissy Field option...gonna do it. Also, I'll check out Cafe Mason as well. Nice to know I have TWO 24 hour diners to pick from for breakfast!

Keith

8. Re: Options on a Tuesday...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 05:17