We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When do you think we could arrive at hotel realistically?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indy
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
When do you think we could arrive at hotel realistically?

flight lands 10:30. Carryon only. We'll probably cab it to save time...on a Wednesday.

Could we be to a US hotel say by noon? Just trying to plan the afternoon....there's a bike tour over the bridge that leaves from Taylor St and starts at 1 and I'm tempted to book it but don't want to be running ragged....

thanks.

Trish

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When do you think we could arrive at hotel realistically?

You should be able to get to your hotel within 45 minutes of touchdown. Maybe even a bit less. I can get home in an hour and that includes picking up my car from an off airport lot and I live further than Union Square.

However, as far as booking something on your day of arrival, SFO does have a pretty bad ontime rating.

Indy
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When do you think we could arrive at hotel realistically?

Thanks.

Trish

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When do you think we could arrive at hotel realistically?

Would you hand your carryons to the bell captain and then jet off to Taylor Street? Likely you'd not be able to check in that early most places.

Indy
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When do you think we could arrive at hotel realistically?

suzie...that's what I was kind of thinking. But i often get tips to slow down on these boards because I go go go. LOL....

I found a 2pm bike tour but it's not half off like the other one on groupon. Sigh. but the time might be worth it....and I've emailed the real SF tour [walking/cable/bus etc.] to see if we could just leave early the next day Thursday as he doesn't finish until 4pm...maybe one of those will pan out.

streets of S.F. has a great afternoon bike tour that would be perfect 1:30-6:30 but not on the right day. bummer.

Trish

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,902 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When do you think we could arrive at hotel realistically?

ETA SFO 1030, 30 minutes taxi, my guess ETA hotel room 1130 or earlier. Plenty of time to 1PM. My SFO experience is always on time or faster a bit.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When do you think we could arrive at hotel realistically?

macbcmini -- Interesting, as SFO ranks last in on time performance of the 20 busiest US airports. …cbslocal.com/2011/…

While most delays are caused by rain and this isn't rainy season, you never can tell what's going on at SFO.

sf
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: When do you think we could arrive at hotel realistically?

Tn

checkout some of the deals on Lifesta, this is where over zealous Groupon buyers can dump deals they regret, or won't use.

Buffalo, New York
Destination Expert
for Buffalo
Level Contributor
947 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When do you think we could arrive at hotel realistically?

Even if your room is not ready I am sure you can store your luggage at your hotel.

We did request early check in and the hotel said they would see what they could do and ensured us that we can leave our luggage.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,902 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When do you think we could arrive at hotel realistically?

We have been lucky, spend 2-3 months a year in hotels, traveling from SFO on business, many flights a year, mostly domenstic. I do not recall any delay in recent years, coming in from Far East is often much earlier, 30 minutes + earlier due to the tailwind. I strongly dislike the taxi drivers at SFO, rude and dishonest bunch, I also live close to SFO, so I always have family members pick me up at SFO, thus have a good concept of arrival time, I am one of those guys always looking at the time, seems always on time, within minutes.

But you never know, delay can happen for 1,000 different reasons, happened to me many times in other airports.

Edited: 14 September 2011, 00:32
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,281 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When do you think we could arrive at hotel realistically?

It looks like you will be flying very early in the morning? The first morning flights have a much better chance to be on-time vs later flights. Theoretically, you should make it with some time to spare, maybe just enough for a quick bite. However, you never know about airport delays or mechanical issues. Therefore, if you decide to make the booking, be sure you know whether you would be stuck with paying for the reservation should you miss the tour.