We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Availability of hotels thru Trip Advisor then Hotels.com etc

perth,western...
Level Contributor
10 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Availability of hotels thru Trip Advisor then Hotels.com etc

Anyone experienced variations in booking availability from eg Hotels.com and Bookings.com? usually get a message from Hotels.com that my dates are not available, yet Bookings.com simply tells me the rates applicable and I assume therefore rooms are available. Confused to say the least. When checking direct with hotel the dates are available. This applies to other cities too.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,468 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Availability of hotels thru Trip Advisor then Hotels.com etc

I don't use those booking agents because they lure you with supposedly low rates and then give you draconian conditions. Pay up front. No cancellation

If you are interested in San Francisco reservations use the consolidator that the hotels use. www. hotelrescom. You get a list of the hotels available on your dates, sorted by price and rating. You can then click on the hotels and you get a full disclosure of the different types of rooms available and their prices. the hotel site also gives you all of the amenities including parking prices, etc.

We use them several times a year for trips into the city. Even once when the city was clogged with conventions and it didn't seem like we had a place to stay for our theater date I telephoned them them and they found us a very suitable accommodation.

perth,western...
Level Contributor
10 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Availability of hotels thru Trip Advisor then Hotels.com etc

Tried hotelrescom and according to them there is one hotel available in San Fran for the August 2012 dates I entered!! Can't imagine that this hotel (Parc 55 Wyndham) is the only one available. Surely hotels anywhere aren't booked out so far ahead?

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
7,452 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Availability of hotels thru Trip Advisor then Hotels.com etc

I have used Hotels.com to book hotels in the past, once in San Francisco. While you do have to prepay, they hold you to the same cancellation policy that the hotel itself advertises. You are not locked in.

If there are no rooms available at a hotel on a third-party site, it does not mean the hotel is fully booked. It means that all the rooms offered through that particular third-party are booked.

Also, if you look too far in advance, the hotel also may not have opened up a block of rooms to the third-party site yet.

I use Hotels.com just to gauge rates. I can usually get a room cheaper directly through the hotel than I can through Hotels.com. Sometimes Hotels.com has a sale, and they are the better deal. Hotels.com is also a good place to get reviews from as the people who write a review there have just stayed at the hotel - unlike TripAdvisor where anyone can write a review.

(Expedia, Travelocity & Orbitz are also other third-party sites that can be used the same way - but have not used them in a while and am not aware of their fine print)

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,766 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Availability of hotels thru Trip Advisor then Hotels.com etc

The fact that the site mentioned only gives you one option doesn't mean that there is only one hotel available, it just means that only one hotel has "given" the consolidator an allocation of rooms to sell at some discount.

Be aware that generally speaking the consolidator sites (including Hotwire & Priceline) work better (have deals) for last minute bookings, off-peak travel, hotels that are having "issues" (such a constriction), etc. Basically, the hotels put the room there when demand is low, supply is high or there is some other reason they don't expect to be full/charge rack rates.

Conversely, when you're trying to book a room far in advance of the stay, the hotels (and sites) have less incentive to offer bargain basement prices as they know they have plenty of time to try to sell the rooms at their regular rates.

hlo

Edited: 15 September 2011, 14:31
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,468 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Availability of hotels thru Trip Advisor then Hotels.com etc

Hal,

Since hotelres.com is a consolidator used by the hotels, not a booking agent, the fact that you cannot get a reservation a year ahead of time through them simply means that the hotel has not released discount rooms to them this early.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,804 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Availability of hotels thru Trip Advisor then Hotels.com etc

The only place you may want to book now is Yosemite if you plan on going there. The other places are a tad bit early to book as Puter suggested

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
62,356 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Availability of hotels thru Trip Advisor then Hotels.com etc

One visitor to Yosemite said he was able to get a room in Yosemite Valley through hotels.com but not thru the official Yosemite lodging website. Sometimes 3rd party companies buy up a few Yosemite rooms and resell them to folks who are willing to pay a higher price. It doesn't seem right, but it's the current system.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Availability of hotels thru Trip Advisor then Hotels.com etc

I've seen that before PacificNW. I've also seen all those sites--hotels.com, expedia, priceline, etc--show no availability, but the hotel website shows availability. Usually they sell out consistently, but not always. Sometimes all of the above will show no availability, but by calling the hotel they have a room.

perth,western...
Level Contributor
10 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Availability of hotels thru Trip Advisor then Hotels.com etc

Thanks to everyone who submitted a response - invaluable. I'll probably book direct with the hotels I choose, possibly around Jan/Feb, need to get my rtw tickets sorted first.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,468 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Availability of hotels thru Trip Advisor then Hotels.com etc

OH, a rtw trip. I am jealous. Happy planning.

Good idea to book directly with the hotels, IMO.