We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels IN SF or suburbs, help!!!

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,803 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels IN SF or suburbs, help!!!

Hubby has business in SF area for a week, thought I'd tag along. Was looking forward to staying in Fisherman's Wharf area and being able to just walk everywhere. Hotel is now booked (10/2-10/8). He likes to stay within the Hilton chain, the nearest he can get (w/o going over his company allotted $$$) is in San Mateo.

Would I be happy staying there??? How difficult would it be for me to get to where the parks and other walking sites are? Is public transportation reasonable/safe to utilize???

I'd really love to go. I don't know what "reasonable" is for SF, so I don't know what king of $$$ we are talking here.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels IN SF or suburbs, help!!!

San Mateo is about 20 miles south of SF it is even south of the airport I presume the trip is for Oracle world and that is why the hotels are expensive.

You can take caltrain to the city If you are close to san Mateo downtown it is quite large for a suburb but pales in

to SF

Sorry but this is a supply and demand issue dying oracle open.

Edited: 16 September 2011, 14:42
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,803 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels IN SF or suburbs, help!!!

Have no idea what Oracle World is...is that why everything is booked?

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels IN SF or suburbs, help!!!

Edit: OP was posting reply while I was typing.

I'm not sure if you mean the Hilton Garden Inn in the CITY of San Mateo or one of the several Hilton-branded properties in the vicinity of SFO, which is located in San Mateo COUNTY.

- If it's the former, it's in a separate, stand-alone city, not a San Francisco suburb, with some 23 miles separating the hotel from Union Square in San Francisco via the direct route (Highway 101). Although Google Maps estimates the drive time as 33 minutes, personally I think that's wildly optimistic, particularly during commute hours, where you're caught in both directions by commuters heading towards either San Francisco or the South Bay. You can reduce but not completely avoid this by adding another 10 miles to your drive and taking I-280 instead of Highway 101 if driving.

- Except for a LONG bus ride via SamTrans, you're looking at some form of mix-mode public commute, either a local bus (or taxi) to BART or CalTrain.

The basic problem is your trip coincides with Oracle OpenWorld, which runs from October 2-6 this year, and which is the largest convention held during the year in San Francisco. During OpenWorld, hotel prices in San Francisco skyrocket, distorting whatever you mean by "$$$".

Edited: 16 September 2011, 14:50
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels IN SF or suburbs, help!!!

There is train service from San Mateo to the city and subway (BART) from SFO to the city. It is certainly safe to take. But they will add 40-60 minutes to and fro each day just to get to a starting point in the city. (And if you take the train you'll face another 20-30 minutes to get downtown from the train station.)

It's not ideal but if it's the only option I suppose it's better than nothing. But I'd be willing to throw in $ or perhaps even $$ of my own to stay in the city.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels IN SF or suburbs, help!!!

If your hubby is not coming for oracle Openworld

oracle.com/openworld/…

then it is just a pure coincidence that he is coming at that time. Oh Oh.

Have a look at vrbo.com or airbnb.com for vacation rentals for a week in the city. They will give you a receipt which I am sure your DH can use for his Per diem hotel charges.

The other event that will start on Oct 6th is the Fleet week with Blue Angels in SF.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,803 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels IN SF or suburbs, help!!!

Help me w/VRBO, please, what areas would be close-in to where we'd want to be??? There are a couple of listings for Fisherman's Wharf, what other neighborhoods would be good???

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels IN SF or suburbs, help!!!

Close in: Nob Hill, Telegraph Hill, Russian Hill, North Beach

Bit further but on good transit: Duboce Triangle, Castro, Dolores Park, Pacific Heights, Marina, Cole Valley

After that if hub is commuting to downtown it'll be a longer trek.

*Always* get the exact location (or street/cross street) and come back here for feedback. Especially around Nob Hill the neighborhood can change within a couple short blocks and definitions liberally lean to the better neighborhood.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels IN SF or suburbs, help!!!

Sal --- you forgot my fav Fisherman's Wharf ;-)

Kiawahbeth -- Many normally don't recommend staying at FW. Just too touristy for our local taste that is all :-)

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,803 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels IN SF or suburbs, help!!!

He won't be commuting, I'll be sightseeing...he's actually visiting community colleges in the area and will have a car and driving to all his appointments.

I'm hoping to do the tourist thing by day, on foot as much as I can (will have just retired 2 days earlier!!!) and take in the city, while he's working. Evenings, we'll do what we can w/remaining daylight.

I'm hoping to hit parks (and whatever else I need to see), do the bike trip across the bridge and take the ferry back (might wait for him to do this one, hopefully on Friday). We'll probably do Alcatraz at night.

I'd be happy to find a local DE who would be interested in walking/showing me around to the sights, if there is anyone out there.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels IN SF or suburbs, help!!!

http://www.sfcityguides.org/ has free walking tours you may be interested in,

http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/ is the only official site to buy tickets and they go fast so please book em if now

As far as commuting, I presume the colleges are going to give him a parking pass as city parking is expensive and street parking is hard to find.