We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Question

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alabama
11 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary Question

Does this seem like a reasonable/ doable itinerary? (the San Francisco part) This will be in June 2012. I know, I know... it's too early, but I need to get an idea for making hotel reservations and such. We are 4 women and 2 teenage girls.

Friday - Tuesday (Monterey/Yosemite)

Friends have a time share they are letting us use in Pacific Grove.

Wednesday:

Leave Monterey for San Francisco at 7:00am

Alcatraz 10:30am (is this cutting it too close?)

Golden Gate Bridge/ Stop on both sides

(South Vista Point and Marin Headlands)

Muir Woods

Check in Napa Hotel (around 7-8pm)

Thursday:

6:00am Hot Air Balloon

Napa Wineries

Dinner in Napa

(One adult and teens will be going to Six Flags instead)

Friday:

Leave Napa around 8:00am

Drop everyone/luggage off at Donatello Hotel

Two of us return rental car to airport

Return to the hotel by taxi (to hopefully save a little time)

Take cable car to Lombard Street

Fisherman's Wharf

Back to Donatello to check in

Union Square for dinner/shopping

Saturday:

Farmer's Market at Ferry Building (leave hotel at 7:00am)

Victorian Homes Walking Tour (11:00am - 1:30pm)

Cable Car Museum

Bridge 2 Bridge Ferry Ride/Tour (3:30pm) (is this any good?)

Coit Tower

North Beach / dinner

Sunday:

All About Chinatown Walking Tour (10:00am - 1:00pm)

Golden Gate Park

Eat in Union Square Area

Leave for airport around 8:00pm (flight leaves at 10:50pm) Is this early enough?

Is there something that I'm missing that I really should try and see? Should we try and take a tour... Mr. Toad's or something similar?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,541 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Question

Quick non-San Francisco question: Do you have your reservations for Yosemite? It's actually late to be planning a trip for a June weekend; some options will already be full. Plenty of places left, but your first choice might not be available.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Question

Wrt making the Alcatraz ferry, if you do leave at 7 and not 7ish you have a good chance of making it to the city in about 2 and a half hours or so. Take 1 N and then 156 West and use the carpool lane as much as you can. Take 85 North to Mountain View and then 280 North. Follow 280 all the way into SF. It becomes King Street and then Embarcadero. You can then get to your pier and park and make it for the tour.

For your rental car, I am surprised you need to make a round trip to.from airport. Most companies do not charge much to drop off in SF but perhaps you have a different company or a deal that makes this hard. It will cost you about $40 back to the city and will take about 25-30 mins or more during rush hours but I think you may be ok wrt that Bart at 16.20 for 2 will take about 35 mins.

Most hotels will let you check in when you drop off your luggage in the morning so you don't need to check in again. You just won't get the keys until the room is ready

On Sunday you are doing Chinatown, GG park and then Union Square. i presume the latter is to pick up your luggage and that is why you are eating there.

Edited: 26 September 2011, 05:31
Alabama
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Question

Thanks for the replies

@PacificNWFamily: I have found available rooms at Best Western Yosemite Way Station in Mariposa which seems to be an hour outside Yosemite Valley. We will be traveling the evening before and we just want to hit the highlights so will only be spending one day there.

@belomiser: I did ask the hotel about holding luggage but I thought they would only hold my luggage and I would still have to check in later. I will check on that. And yes, on Sunday, we have to go back and pick up luggage at the hotel before going back to the airport so I thought eating in Union Square would be easiest. I have checked with Hertz and Enterprise. Enterprise will not allow me to rent a car from the airport and return it in the city. Hertz charges $200 more. Alamo and Budget are just too expensive for the size vehicle we would need ($900-1000) vs. $550 for Enterprise. We are planning on renting a minivan (Dodge Caravan or similar which is already cutting it close size-wise). I will call them directly and ask as I've only checked online.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,782 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Question

A couple of thoughts:

1. Take the evening trip to Alcatraz - sunset over the Bay is magnificent.

2. Allow plenty of time to take the Cable Car ride. Whe we were there the wait was over an hour and we ended up walking. Earned dinner that night.

3. Consider walking across the GG Bridge to Saulsolito and taking the ferry back ( or renting a bike) - a fair hike but an amazing experience.

4. IMHO there are better places in SF to eat than Fishermans Wharf.

Enjoy!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Question

Muir Woods will likely be very crowded on an afternoon in June. If you choose to go, be prepared to park along the side of the road about a mile or so away. The parking lots at Muir are quite small and fill up fast.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Question

Leaving Monterey at 7am on a weekday, you will hit some rush hour traffic. Rush hour in many areas is 6:30 - 9:30am. Trouble spots will be on 101 approaching and through San Jose, then probably more coming into SF on 280. Your time line is probably OK, just letting you know what to expect.

7. Re: Itinerary Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 06:19