We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to visit the Ferry Building Marketplace on a Tuesday?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
420 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
When to visit the Ferry Building Marketplace on a Tuesday?

My husband and I will be in San Francisco in two weeks. Our hotel is in the Fisherman's Wharf area. We have an Alcatraz Tour booked for 12:30 PM on Tuesday the 18th, that departs from Pier 33.

I would love to spend some time at the Ferry Building, and Tuesday is the best day for us. I know it opens at 10:00 AM (and that Tuesdays are farmer's market days).

My question is: will we have time to "do it justice" and be at Pier 33 by noon (no way we're chancing missing the Alcatraz tour) if we take the F streetcar to arrive right when the Ferry Building opens?

Or would we be wiser to wait and go to the Ferry Building after our Alcatraz Tour (missing the farmer's market, but with no rushing)?

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to visit the Ferry Building Marketplace on a Tuesday?

The Alcatraz boarding is right by the Ferry Building. I think you have plenty of time. I'd have lunch here & then do your tour.

Kirkcaldy
Level Contributor
618 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to visit the Ferry Building Marketplace on a Tuesday?

IMHO, it is a bit of a walk between Ferry Building (Pier 1) and Pier 33. A few stops on FLine cars. We went to the Saturday market and it was already in full swing by 9am. We had breakfast at the Market Bar and Cafe.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to visit the Ferry Building Marketplace on a Tuesday?

travelingrunner writes>>The Alcatraz boarding is right by the Ferry Building....<<

"Right by" should be put into some kind of context. In the context of walking, you're talking about almost exactly one mile between the Ferry Building and Pier 33 where boat service to Alcatraz originates.

Edited: 03 October 2011, 21:27
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to visit the Ferry Building Marketplace on a Tuesday?

Several of the Ferry Building merchants open well before 10 am, so you might want to go earlier, have a leisurely breakfast there (I love Il Cane Rosso; there's also Cowgirl Creamery Sidekick, Frog Hollow Farm and a few others open for breakfast), and then do the farmers market after that. It's a pretty small market on Tuesday - nothing like the Saturday extravaganza - so you should be able to browse your way through both the market and the permanent shops by noon.

You can click on each of the merchants for their opening hours:

ferrybuildingmarketplace.com/merchant_list.p…

I think it's about a mile between the Ferry Building and Pier 33 - definitely walkable, but not right by each other.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,561 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When to visit the Ferry Building Marketplace on a Tuesday?

The Tuesday market is nothing like Saturday. I don't think I'd go out of my way for it. If you're not looking for fresh produce, the pickings are slim. Most of the non-produce places have smaller stalls set up inside the building as well (I'm thinking of the nuts & dried fruit merchant and the honey merchant).

Make sure you give yourself plenty of time if you take the F-line, it's very slow.

Ontario
Level Contributor
420 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When to visit the Ferry Building Marketplace on a Tuesday?

Thanks so much for the responses. We won't worry about rushing to get there for the farmer's market in the morning.

Is the Ferry Building itself worth the trip after our Alcatraz Tour, from say 3:00 - 6:00 PM?

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When to visit the Ferry Building Marketplace on a Tuesday?

"Worth the trip" is really one of those personal/travel interest and available time questions that only you can answer. If your interests include artisan foods, beautiful/beautifully restored architecture, and/or good use of waterfront the odds increase that it may be "worth the trip" but you should look at the Ferry Building website http://www.ferrybuildingmarketplace.com and give some thought as to what interests you.

As an aside, when I worked in the area, I vastly preferred the weekday farmers markets as they weren't mobbed by people "there for the experience" rather than buying food.

Ontario
Level Contributor
420 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When to visit the Ferry Building Marketplace on a Tuesday?

Thanks Caffiend. My concern with going there early is that we will be rushed and therefore unable to appreciate the Ferry Building. It sounds like a trip there after our tour (not only to look around, but perhaps to have an late lunch/early dinner) is a good plan!

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When to visit the Ferry Building Marketplace on a Tuesday?

Followup regarding the Tuesday Farmers Market, the food section in the online version of the SF Chronicle had a story today about the number of prepared food vendors/food carts at the Tuesday Market being increased:

…sfgate.com/blog/…

No indications of an 18 gadzillion calorie children's pasta being served yet, so visitors will have to go elsewhere for that one......

Edited: 06 October 2011, 00:17
10. Re: When to visit the Ferry Building Marketplace on a Tuesday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 18:18