We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cable cars and Alcatraz tours

12 posts
Save Topic
Cable cars and Alcatraz tours

Hi, my wife and I are visiting next June and our travel agent has given us a price for a 3 day cable car pass with an Alcatraz tour. I'm wanting to check if the price they're quoting is competitive, any suggestions of where I could find prices?

Thanks

Chris

North east england
Level Contributor
706 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cable cars and Alcatraz tours

It sounds like the muni passes that you can buy, i think if you google muni-passes it'll take you to the website.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,439 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cable cars and Alcatraz tours

The only official site for buying Alcatraz tickets is alcatraz cruises.com. There are no discounts. Your travel agent is simply combining that with a Muni pass, for which there is also no discount.

I would fire the travel agent and simply make your Alcatraz reservations online and buy the Muni pass when you arrive.

If you do some searching here you will find that we are very suspicious of travel agents from abroad who often put their clients in bad hotels or impossible itineraries.

While Alcatraz cruises and Muni do not pay commissions to travel agents, I would look carefully at the rest of your itinerary suggested by said travel agency. You can probably do better by yourselves.

North east england
Level Contributor
706 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cable cars and Alcatraz tours

I would agree. We are doing a USA trip next May, including San francisco, and we have organised this part of the trip ourselves including our hotel (Chancellor), trips.... alcatraz etc. Ive found by using all the help on here, everything seems straight forward.

We are also going to Las Vegas and LA, the only part we have arranged through an agent is our flights, all other things Ive arranged myself.

I actually managed to book a suite (renaissance hotel LA) cheaper by approx £200 than the agent could get us a standard room..... I think it pays to do you research - but Ive found that to be half the fun!!!

12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cable cars and Alcatraz tours

Thanks for the chilies, checked out the Muni pass and it looks good, 7 day pass for $69! We are planning to visit from 25th June through to 30 June before flying down to Vegas for a few days. Ideally we want to do a trip to Yosemite as well. We got quotes from Trailfinders and they're quite competitive for the hotel rates, we got a free night in the Chancellor because we're staying for more than 4 nights, pretty good deal.

So many decisions to make!!

Edited: 10 October 2011, 15:49
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cable cars and Alcatraz tours

Thanks for the replies, checked out the Muni pass and it looks good, 7 day pass for $69! We are planning to visit from 25th June through to 30 June before flying down to Vegas for a few days. Ideally we want to do a trip to Yosemite as well. We got quotes from Trailfinders and they're quite competitive for the hotel rates, we got a free night in the Chancellor because we're staying for more than 4 nights, pretty good deal.

So many decisions to make!!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cable cars and Alcatraz tours

I can only echo what has been said above. And while Muni and Alcatraz do not pay commissions to agents, I'd be very curious as to the price your agent quoted you for this "cable car Alcatraz package."

Alcatraz is $26 ($33 for the night tour) and the Muni pass for 3 days is $21. (The pass is good on all San Francisco transit vehicles, not just cable cars). So I do hope your agent wasn't charging more than $47.

I'm also baffled by how they were selling Muni Passes as they aren't available by mail. They are available at the Info desk at baggage claim at the airport, the tour desk at the Chancellor hotel, the Visitor Center just outside the Powell St. BART station, the cable car turnarounds and many Walgreen Drug stores around Union Square and probably the one at Fisherman's Wharf as well.

check

www.alcatrazcruises.com -- for all things Alcatraz

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfares/passports.htm -- for info on the Muni pass

Edit: Chrisy was typing while I was .... a 7 day pass is $27 ... how did you come up with $69?

Edited: 10 October 2011, 15:56
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cable cars and Alcatraz tours

Sorry, my bad! Citypass.com does a deal where you get a 7 day pass and entry to some attractions for $69

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cable cars and Alcatraz tours

Ahhh, gotcha.

The CityPass can be a good deal depending upon your interest in the included attractions ... and it also has an Alcatraz option.

One note about CityPass and its museum tickets. There are a fair number of special exhibits in the local musuems and most of these carry an "upcharge." The CityPass will get you general admission to the museum's permanent collection but you'll have to pay the additional if you're interested in the special exhibit. (For example: Venetian Renaissance at the deYoung $10 and Pissarro's People at the Legion $5).

Edited: 10 October 2011, 16:28
9. Re: Cable cars and Alcatraz tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 15:18