We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to travel from San Jose

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to travel from San Jose

We will be traveling from San Jose on a Saturday. Read the posts suggesting that we park at a BART station and take it in. Looking at the map, I was thinking of taking it from Daly City. We are thinking about taking the Alcatraz tour first thing in the morning. What would be the best station to get off at and walk? How long of a walk? Would Daly City be a good station to start traveling from San Jose?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,104 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to travel from San Jose

When you say the word "best" does it imply cheapest or fastest or quickest ? The other assumption is that you are referring to "parking" at a Bart station implying that you have a car.

The fastest way on a Saturday would be to take your car into SF, parking near Pier 33 and taking the tour. It would also be the most convenient in terms to getting back at night if you were to stay late

The other option would be to take Caltrain early morning to SF and using the Muni to get to Pier 33 www.caltrain.com for schedules There are fewer trains on the weekend and they stop at all stations.

The one option you suggest would be to drive a long way from SJ to Daly City Bart on 280 and to take it to the Embarcadero Station and the F Muni to Pier 33.

In my opinion it would be too much of a hassle driving + bart + Muni for the trip. I would suggest you just drive and park on Saturday in one place near the city, see Alcatraz and other places and drive back

Please use google maps or 511.org if you want to see the transit options

http://g.co/maps/88h73

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to travel from San Jose

I think if you are driving from SanJo, why stop almost in the City, park, and get 2 different public transit systems just for the last few miles? BART will not take you near the pier you need. I think the easiest way is to use the parking garage at 5th and Mission, and use the MUNI to get around the City. You get to it easily from I-280 and puts you in walking distance of lots of stuff ( one block to Market St. and short transit ride on the F-Market will get you to pier for Alcatraz).

Maryland
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to travel from San Jose

Thanks for the info. I just wanted to make sure others agreed with driving all the way in because most of the websites discourage it. We are flying in the day before from east coast so I know we will be getting an early start and have time to find parking.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,779 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to travel from San Jose

On Saturday I'd have no problem recommending that you drive all the way into the city.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to travel from San Jose

It's hard to find free or cheap parking, if you're willing to pay, there are plenty of places to park. In your situation driving makes the most sense.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,832 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to travel from San Jose

Driving all the way in is fine so long as (1) you don't mind the $$$ parking and (2) you get a relatively early start. Although driving into SF is not a big deal on a Saturday, the roadways around Pier 33 and nearby Fisherman's Wharf become quite congested starting around 10 or so.

In your particular situation, I see no advantage to parking at the 5th & Mission garage. It isn't much cheaper than the garages near Pier 33, plus you would have to take Muni to get to your final destination anyway.

7. Re: Best way to travel from San Jose

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 21:17