We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco Accommodation

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Palmerston North...
3 posts
Save Topic
San Francisco Accommodation

Hi, we are staying in San Francisco in early May 2012 and are trying to decide on the accommodation. We are unsure as to whether union square or fishermans wharf is a better location.Any suggestions on area or a specific hotel (preferably with seating in the room)?

Cheers

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
7,451 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco Accommodation

Hi d_kiwi! It will help people give you an idea what hotels to look at if you give them more information. (How many people? How much you want to pay per night? What you are looking forward to doing in the City the most? What types of hotels you like?)

Both areas are fine and the rest of the City is easily accessible from both, so it going to be up to your preferences where you stay.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco Accommodation

Mailgirl is correct -- we need a bit more information to make suggestions. (Welcome to TA by the way.)

There are two Top Questions (right side of screen) which discuss the popular areas to stay and there is one that specifically compares Union Square with Fisherman's Wharf. Take a gander at that and see if that answers your questions.

You mentioned wanting seating area in your room. You might look at the Donatello -- they have very large rooms (400+ sq ft) -- and is relatively reasonably price (Union Square area).

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco Accommodation

We stayed at the Donatello in Sept.

Room's are very large.

Service excellent.

Palmerston North...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco Accommodation

Sorry for the lack of info..was very late at night here :)

It is my husband and self travelling, budget around $200pn if possible. We don't mind what type of hotel as long as there is somewhere to sit after a busy day of sight seeing or shopping. Our travel agent has suggested several tours to us; alcatraz, nappa valley and muir woods which all appeal...plus I hear the shopping is great!!

The agent is recommending the Sheraton or Westin St Francis...I had been looking at the Donatello myself as it seems to have good reviews.

Thanks so much for your help :)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,857 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco Accommodation

Travel agents recommend who gives them the biggest spiffs and commissions.

St Francis is a great old hotel, but the less expensive rooms are in the old tower, not the new one.

Try looking at JDV Hotels and Kimpton Hotels, two very nice local chains.

http://www.jdvhotels.com/hotels/sanfrancisco

kimptonhotels.com/hotels/hotels-sanfrancisco…

I would almost always choose Union Square or the Embarcadero over Fisherman's Wharf.

Palmerston North...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco Accommodation

I like the look of the Adagio or Galleria Park in Union Square thanks :)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Francisco Accommodation

Of the Adagio vs. Galleria Park I'd pick the Adagio. However, the JDV hotel in the area that I like the best is the White Swan (or Petite Auberge which is a couple of doors away). A bit more B&B style and many rooms have fireplaces.

I agree with scott that Travel Agents usually aren't personally familiar with the places they recommend. IMO you're much better off doing you own research and deciding what hotel suits your tastes and budget the best.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,016 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Francisco Accommodation

I know that travel agents don't get a lot of love here, but I think that while they may not be personally familiar with a specific hotel, they can get feedback from their clients and thus learn about a hotel from experience. If you're not used to doing your own travel research, it can be very overwhelming to try to figure out what is "best". If you've worked with a good agent, they will listen to what you like and narrow down your choices.

9. Re: San Francisco Accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2012, 10:21