We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Other cities to visit if you liked SF?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
167 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Other cities to visit if you liked SF?

Looking at the Cyber Monday deals I wonder what suggestions might you have to for other places to visit in CA if I've lived SF. Liked the frequent public transportation, the walkablity and the closeness to the waterfront and walking around.

Thinking of San Diego, Santa Barbara, LA, Palm Springs, Long Beach.... or anywhere else warm in the winter

Thanks

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Other cities to visit if you liked SF?

Well, no waterfont in Palm Springs but it will be warmest of those places on your list.

Downtown San Diego has developed a lot over the past couple of decades and of those spots on your list that would be my pick. Not the greatest public transit but lots in downtown plus the ferry to Coronado.

Santa Barbara would be the second -- but I wouldn't call it a "city." However the transit isn't bad and it's free.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,369 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Other cities to visit if you liked SF?

Agree any of those places would be great based on what you mentioned except for Palm Spring. San Diego is a nice place to vist and our fav city outside of THE city

If you are looking for warmth think Hawaii or go to Mexico or somewhere in the West Indies

Edited: 30 November 2011, 03:52
Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
309 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Other cities to visit if you liked SF?

...SF is the second most dense big city in the USA besides New York, or I read that a while ago. It's its own beast, and I don't think you'll find anything like it around. That said for culture Venice Beach is cool.

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Other cities to visit if you liked SF?

San Francisco has an entirely different feel to the rest of CA since it is more typical of an East Coast city than a West Coast city (although I agree with the other posters, that San Diego is the most similar of the places you've listed).

As far as US cities go, try New York or Boston, but definitely wait until spring/summer. Also, you may want to go international... Barcelona, Melbourne, and Hong Kong might be good for you.

Seeing that you're Canadian, have you been to Montreal?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,369 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Other cities to visit if you liked SF?

Angie The OP said she wanted to go someplace warm -- having been in Toronto and Montreal in Winter where i froze , I dont think that would be a good place to visit even though it is a lovely city ;-)

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Other cities to visit if you liked SF?

A good place with decent public transit is the Newport Beach/Huntington Beach area of Orange County in the Southland.

Huntington Beach is a bit Sporty, but the pier is very compact. A couple of great AAA 4 diamond resorts and other accommodations available.

www.surfcityusa.com

Newport Beach is more varied, but another great place with a transportation hub.

www.visitnewportbeach.com

The local bus system, OCTA Route 1 goes up and down the Pacific Coast Highway on a regular basis.

www.octa.net

Plenty of great shopping, dining, sightseeing, etc. in the area. The Balboa Harbor has some great boat cruises, or you can take a day trip, or overnight trip to Catalina Island and Avalon.

http://www.catalinainfo.com/

And much more, here is a good link to the entire area.

www.visittheoc.com

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Other cities to visit if you liked SF?

I may be too late, but I can't resist the question.

There don't seem to be that many places in the world that are like San Francisco, let alone in California.

Digression for Herb Caen's joke: A San Francisco man dies and goes to heaven. Sometime later his family holds a seance and asks him what's heaven like. He says "Well it's not bad, but it's not San Francisco."

Santa Barbara has a nice walkable downtown area, it's one of the places I thought of.

Venice is rather like The Haight District by the sea, especially along the Ocean Front Walk.

West Hollywood and the Hillcrest district of San Diego are, like The Castro, lively urban significantly gay neighborhoods. Most of Downtown San Diego seems too open and new to be much like San Francisco--nice, but different. The Gaslamp Quarter has the Victorian buildings and the Fishermen's Wharf type stores and restaurants. The East Village of San Diego is nothing like the East Village of New York, but it is akin to the South of Market district of San Francisco.

Pasadena is a lot like Berkeley, which I realize is not San Francisco.

There are a number of good walkable neighborhoods around Los Angeles--the Fairfax district, downtown Culver City, Los Feliz--but their character is pretty different from San Francisco neighborhoods. Many of San Francisco's neighborhoods have large tracts of houses that are a century or more old, you just don't see that very much in Los Angeles or San Diego.

Edited: 30 November 2011, 04:38
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,841 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Other cities to visit if you liked SF?

The first time I visited SF, it reminded me of Disneyland.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,041 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Other cities to visit if you liked SF?

OMG, simba!

My thought exactly! I have been known to call San Francisco Disneyland for grown-ups. Too funny.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,264 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Other cities to visit if you liked SF?

The place closest to the feel of San Francisco is Boston. There is absolutely no place else in CA like it. No place else is that small and compact with the feel of an East Coast city.

San Diego and Palm Springs would be the best weather for a snowbird wanting to get away. Santa Barbara would be a different experience, still good weather and very walkable, but a tiny town.

LA and Orange County (Newport Beach, Laguna Beach) have great beach towns, but the areas are limited in the sights and activities and transportation options.