We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

are there any booths at Gary DanKo?

Iowa
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Topic
are there any booths at Gary DanKo?

or just tables?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,571 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: are there any booths at Gary DanKo?

I just called them. The "reservationist" as they are called, says they have booths.

If you look at the web site with the flashing pictures in the introduction you can catch a glimpse of one of them. I just wasn't sure.

The long telephone message-tree when you call, says "elegant attire requested".

I don't really know what "elegant attire" is in San Francisco. Locals who have been to Gary Danko can probably enlighten us on its "standards".

OH.....reservations are accepted two months in advance......implications are that you had better hurry if you want the privilege of eating there.

Edited: 27 December 2011, 02:01
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: are there any booths at Gary DanKo?

It's been awhile since I've dined there but I recall a long padded banquette style bench so for couples, one is on the bench and the other is in a chair. I don't recall "booths" for parties of two.

Based on the conversations we've had on this forum "elegant attire" can be jeans but I disagree. I wore a "little black dress" and my date wore a suit. Neither of us felt overdressed. I'm sure they won't toss you out for improper attire but you'll be appreciated for understanding what "elegant" means.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,139 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: are there any booths at Gary DanKo?

One of the reasons I hated my Gary Danko experience. Maybe because it was early on, but the seat at my table had me under the spotlight that should have been centered on the table instead. So I kind of felt like I was on display in the middle of the place - and when I looked up, it was those mirrors on the wall, reflecting back everyone else in the room.

I didn't like it at all.

I had a much better experience, several times, at the Fifth Floor (though it's been entirely done over since I've been back). The Fifth Floor used to have two tables (1 & 2) that were private booths. The service and food there were always wonderful - and you could really concentrate on your dining companions and the meal, rather than the see and be seen crowd.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: are there any booths at Gary DanKo?

it's been a while since i've eaten there. just confirmed with my friend and we sat in a booth for 3 people. it was a tight fit.

i've also eaten at a table.

my friend does not dress well. one day we called up and we could get seats that night. i explained that he traveled into the city and doesn't have better clothes and they were okay with that.

calling same day, you may be able to get a seat at the bar.

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,464 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: are there any booths at Gary DanKo?

I've eaten at Gary Danko half dozen times, each time at a table.

6. Re: are there any booths at Gary DanKo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2013, 10:18