We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic weekend for frazzled parents

Bay Area, California
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Romantic weekend for frazzled parents

Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding hotels and restaurants in the city...

My husband is turning 50 soon and I'm planning to take him away for a weekend in the city. (We live int he East Bay.) This will be our first trip away from our nearly-three-year-old twins. Between this being our first getaway and my husband's birthday, I want to plan something VERY special.

For a hotel, I am looking at Hotel Vitale or possibly the Fairmont. I'd like a hotel with a great view. I wouldn't say money is no object, but I'd like to keep it as close to $400 (or less) as possible. The Panoramic Suites at Hotel Vitale look amazingly perfect but at $700+ are out of my range. Any ideas for a beautiful hotel with a great view? I’d prefer historical/old-school but am open to something more modern, but nothing ultra-modern/minimalist. Any recommendations are appreciated.

For dinner, I’d like to go to Farallon. My husband loves seafood and adores all things ocean-related. I think he’d love the décor. However, I’ve seen mixed reviews about the food. I’ve also seen reviews that said it is VERY loud. My husband has some mild hearing loss so I’m a little uneasy taking him to a loud restaurant. Any suggestions? Again, I’d like somewhere really beautiful with great food. Seafood preferred, with a romantic ambience.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks.

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic weekend for frazzled parents

Mandarin also has knock out views.

I've done Farralon a few times but not recently. It never occurred to me to bring a date there. The decor IMHO is goofy.

Fleur de Lys (sp) was my go to place for romantic and I really like Keller's style of cooking. But I have not been there recently so I have no idea how the kitchen is doing.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,066 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic weekend for frazzled parents

I would choose a tower room at the Fairmont if it were within my budget. Grande Dame Hotel....modern room with a view.

Level Contributor
35,249 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic weekend for frazzled parents

Hotel Vitale is pretty contemporary! We just had a great lunch at Chaya Brassiere last week. We dined at Farallon in the main pool room, the food was excellent. Boulevard across from Hotel Vitale is also wonderful. Have fun! :).

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,038 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic weekend for frazzled parents

We thought the seafood at Farallon was supurb, so no worries there. We too celebrated a special occasion, they will write Happy Birthday in chocolate on the dessert plate. We choose to sit upstairs on the mezzanine level, overlooking the jellyfish lamps. It's much quieter up the grand staircase, and definitely more romantic in the smaller dining room. We returned again this past visit, as we just love this restaurant.

Have you considered the historic Mark Hopkins hotel? Great views, breakfast included at the Top of the Mark restaurant, with a package. We had a corner room with nice furnishings.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic weekend for frazzled parents

I agree with the suggestion of a tower room at the Fairmont (and get a north facing one for the bay view). Gives you the grande dame lobby but a more modernly spacious room. I've never seen the rooms at the Mark but that also sounds like a good suggestion.

I'm not a Farralon fan. I too think think the decor "goofy" and the food, to me, wasn't that memorable. Perhaps because I think fish should be done simply. Which is why I think a place like Hayes Street Grill or Tadich's has the best seafood in town.

Edited: 28 December 2011, 15:40
NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic weekend for frazzled parents

Hotels with a view, W Hotel but real trendy, Hilton Financial District but was an old Holiday Inn (both had views of the bay high floors) and Holiday Inn Gateway on Van Ness (view of the city). Higher floors are better, tell the desk at checkin it's a special ocassion and you might score even better. Enjoy.

7. Re: Romantic weekend for frazzled parents

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2013, 10:18