We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help me decide which hotel please?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
help me decide which hotel please?

having a 2 night stop over on my way to orlando

these are the 3 ive picked out as i saw the map and want to be close /central to shopping.

------------------------------------

handlery union square

King george hotel

Powell hotel

around $400 for the 2 night stay is my budget,these 3 are there about

I had picked out the cornell hotel de france,but think its to far out for me,as i couldnt even see it on the map i was looking at.

i nornmally stay in budget places so anything id be happy with,dont mind paying extra for short stays when location is important.

Im going end of sept

thanks

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,486 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help me decide which hotel please?

Handlery would be #1, followed by the King George.

The Cornell Hotel de France is only 2-3 blocks from Union Square, but you have to walk up an incline to get to it.

Edited: 05 January 2012, 07:53
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help me decide which hotel please?

Agree with above. I would say the Handlery is a cut above the other two, so if priced the same as the King George or Powell, that's a good deal -- grab it.

Edited: 05 January 2012, 14:52
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help me decide which hotel please?

thankyou,yeah its only about $40 diff which is nothing

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,828 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help me decide which hotel please?

Funny thing. I was listening to our local radio station and heard an ad from Handlery today. They have a KNBR special which gives you 20% off their restaurant, a good rate and free parking. Am not suggesting you rent a car in SF -- but perhaps the rate would be as good if not better than what you are seeing. You may have to email or call them

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help me decide which hotel please?

thanks for that,Im going to book today through my travel agent as she is getting the same rate Im getting online and also while the dollar is good.

Looking again at the map its such a great location so close to macys and the cheesecake factory my 2 favourite places we dont have in oz LOL

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help me decide which hotel please?

Hey Camdenmum nice to see you on here.

We are going for our second visit to SF in may it's a great city.

You got anything planned to do there besides shopping HA HA I know how you Aussies are.

Seriously you should do at least Alcatraz.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,481 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help me decide which hotel please?

Another vote for the Handlery.....hands down. (pun intented :~)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help me decide which hotel please?

hi uncmom

Oh yes we are going to alcatraz thats top of the list,then going over the bridge,and rding a cable car,the 3 things i wanted to do for years.

Hope to book an all day tour and see the main things in one hit.

Im leaving the shopping for orlando,but of course be checking out macys,rossi shop,they are close to the hotel.

Ive got 9 months to plan it,and i wont waste a minute,ill be up at dawn and drop at midnight,thats how I holiday,i rest when i get home LOL

I have one full day and 2 half days,ill be busy but i will cram in more than most people would do,I dont stop

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help me decide which hotel please?

Well i went to book and pay for my hotel at the local travel agent and now its showing $510 for the 2 nights??The normal girl i see was away so,im going back in the morning when she is back to see whats going on..

Going to have a look at the website myself and see...

It cant go up $100 in 2 days surely?

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,766 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: help me decide which hotel please?

Actually it can go up that much in that short a time.

Even forgetting that there are differences in rooms and associated rates (and they may have sold out of the rooms associated with your original rate). Many hotels have moved to the airline load type pricing - with a number of (the same class of) rooms (seats) at one rate and another number at another rate, etc. - all of which change (including the rates) on a nearly daily basis based on what has been sold, how much time remains to sell the rest, projected sales, etc.

Throw in a discount to boost sales of a room type or for certain days, a new convention or event and you end up with room rate that fluctuate almost as much as airfares. And, I have even touched on the consolidators and 3rd party sites that pre-book for resale or are allocated a certain number of rooms by the hotel or one on the newest; the pay-up-front, no refund rate.

Anyway, sorry you may have lost your rate. This is why the forum regulars usually recommend booking something you're happy with (and you can cancel at no cost) as early as possible and then hope something better or less expensive comes along.

Who knows all of the above may "conspire" to get an even better rate?

hlo