We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beer and Wine

Colchester
Level Contributor
7 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Beer and Wine

Hello.Anyone help please with what will seem a trivial question but one that is important to us.We are flying to San Francisco later in the year and have booked the Holiday Inn Express on South Airport Blvd at the Airport.It is tradition that my wife and I have a beer and a glass of wine before we go to bed but because of the kids we need to buy cans and a bottle for the room rather than go out.Does anyone know of anywhere local that would sell anything like that (Gas Station,seven 11 etc).Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,627 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beer and Wine

The first question you are going to get is why in the blue blazes are you staying by the airport?

Here is a great hint on traveling, or even at home (I assume in works in the UK), put the address into Google Maps, 373 S Airport Blvd, South San Francisco, CA 94080 in this case, and there are several options; one is "search nearby" and if you type in "liquor store" you can see a large number of places nearby, under a mile walking, but I would ask the hotel staff about the neighborhood before I walked to any of them.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,044 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beer and Wine

South San Francisco is the self proclaimed industrial city and not the place I would suggest one stays if they are visiting SF the first time. Unless this is just an overnight layover would strongly suggest you look for a place in SF with a similar budget and you can walk to restaurants with kids Are you sure you want to hunt for beer and wine in South City ? By no means is this area dangerous but industrial and boring

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,548 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beer and Wine

The very question/answer of your posting is a prime example of why it is generally not recommended to stay at an "airport hotel" rather then in the city. If you were talking about a hotel in the city, there would be lots of responses naming multiple options where you could purchase beer & wine within a short distance of (just about) any hotel.

With an airport hotel not only is there less knowledge, there are probably only a few options (if any) within a a short distance.

Two "bottom line" comments from me: Strongly suggest you consider rebooking a hotel in the city (if possible) for *lots* of reasons.

If you can't rebook, as previously suggested try using Google Map's Streetview to search around your hotel, hopefully you'll find something nearby. Just be aware that the images can be "state" and out of date, you might want to call the business or hotel to be certain what you see is still there.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,

hlo

Edited: 05 January 2012, 17:07
Chicago
Level Contributor
5,302 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beer and Wine

If you stay at the airport, you'll have to take a cab to drive you to a nearby liquor store to get the wine & beer. Like others suggest, stay in San Francisco with everything at your fingertips!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beer and Wine

There is a gas station across the street but I don't know if they sell beer or wine.

sf
Level Contributor
3,327 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beer and Wine

If you're stuck here in SSF, there isn't much in theg area except Costco Wholesale(if a member you'll find beer & wine here), but there is a bar a few doors down called Houlihan's in the regular Holiday Inn. Except for that you'll need to walk or take a taxi over to Grand Avenue to find a liquor store. No Supermarkets are close, unless taking a taxi to San Bruno for Lucky's and BevMo.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,781 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beer and Wine

SFO is a bit horrid without transportation. The whole corridor by the bay is cut off from civilization by a freeway.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beer and Wine

The nearest liquor stores will be located on Grand Avenue in South San Francisco. Take South Airport Boulevard north to Grand, then turn left and go over/under the freeway. Try Columbo or Downtown Liquors.

There's a BevMo (Beverages & More) nearby in San Bruno that has a good selection and much better prices. Also the local grocery stores (Safeway, Lunardi's, Lucky, etc.) all carry beer and wine at competitive prices.

If you don't have a car, it should be a very short taxi ride (or a rather ugly walk).

London
Level Contributor
943 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beer and Wine

Strongly suggest you change your hotel..... How many nights are you staying there for ? Stay in holiday inn express fishermans wharf .

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,409 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beer and Wine

I sympathize with you Brighty. We often stay near the airport when catching an early flight or if we need to park our vehicle for a while. We too like to have a glass of wine or two before retiring but, of course, we just bring it with us.

You might just want to email the hotel and ask them if there's something close by. I don't know about the beer but you should be able to buy a bottle of wine at the duty free store in your departure airport in the UK unless you are changing planes here in the US.