We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

See a baseball game?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
See a baseball game?

I shall be in San Fran this September 20th & 21st and would like to see baseball game. Any help appreciated - should I book a hotel near to the ground (where is the ground?) and should I get tickets beforehand?

TIA

Phil

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,104 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: See a baseball game?

The local team of SF or San Francisco is the Giants and they play at AT&T park. You can go to sfgiants.com and check out the schedule to make sure they are playing at home that weekend -- well turns out you are lucky and they are playing two evening games. You should get tickets before hand. Check out stubhub.com and fansnap.com as they are legal brokers to sell tickets for the game. and you can do that over Summer

You can look at google maps to see where the park is. It is a nice walk from Embarcadero area hotels as well as Union Square hotels and a bit further from the fisherman's wharf area. You can read the Top questions on where to stay, look at SF hotels and reviews on the menu to the left.

Go Giants

Edited: 07 January 2012, 16:30
London
Level Contributor
907 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: See a baseball game?

We have been very lucky to see the giants live a few times now . You will have a great time. Soake up the atmosphere !

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: See a baseball game?

If you search this forum for giants you will get plenty of info re the weather and seating. And the garlic fries. It's one of the best ballparks in the country you will have a great time.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,943 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: See a baseball game?

On the two days you are here, San Francisco Giants are playing.

On the 20th it is a day game versus the Rockies - 12:45 p.m. start

On the 21st it is a night game versus the Padres - 7:15 p.m. start

I would definitely get tickets beforehand for the Padres on the 21st if you go to that one -many people from San Diego come up for the game as its a week-end series.

In terms of seating, I like view seating as you can watch the game and also see the Bay. its a good way to see more of San Francisco on such a short trip.

As mentioned already, best to check the San Francisco Giant web site for getting tickets, and so forth.

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: See a baseball game?

In left field it starts as Sicily and switches to Shetlands in a blink of an eye. But in September maybe not so much. In Latin the phrase "San Francisco" = "dress in layers".

Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: See a baseball game?

Thanks to all, I'm looking forward to seeing my first baseball game. The Padres night game sounds good. My hotel is near Union Square, is that walkable?

Regarding seating, I'm a bit unclear - what does the Sicily/Shetland refer to?

Would $35 to $40 get a good seat?

Phil

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: See a baseball game?

It is walkable from Union Square to AT&T but it's a couple of miles. You can also catch public transit. 1) Go to the Powell St. MUNI underground station and catch the "T" on the "inbound" platform (or any train that says CalTrain Depot). This will take you directly to the park. 2) Catch the 30-Stockton or 45-Union/Stockton on Stockton at Geary to the end of the line on 4th and Townsend. Walk over to 2nd and King (3 longish blocks) to the park.

"Sicily/Shetland" I believe is a humorous attempt to describe how fast the weather can change ... warm like Sicily one minute and cold as the Shetlands the next. For a night game, definitely dress warmly, regardless of time of year.

In addition to the Giants site for tickets, www.stubhub.com is a trustworthy outlet.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: See a baseball game?

I tried to get tickets for a Dodgers game in 2009 (still feels like yesterday).

I went to their website but couldn't organise it, as they didn't take my booking as I wasn't in the USA. I had to get someone in LA do it for me .. but it was worth it.

The atmosphere was terrific ... so I wish you the best.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,104 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: See a baseball game?

30 to 45 will get you a better seat for a day game vs a night game For avid fans a great seat is behind home plate or where the catcher stands. Just like your wicket keeper I believe in cricket. But for your first game you should be ok with any seating for that price

Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
898 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: See a baseball game?

We stayed in the Financial District and went to a few games. We took the T to the park before the game, but ended up walking back from park to the hotel after the game and your hotel should be a shorter walk. There will be plenty of crowds walking back post-game, probably 15 minutes or so to walk.