We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fog?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Missouri
Level Contributor
165 posts
294 reviews
Save Topic
Fog?

We will be arriving in a few days and were wondering how thick the fog tends to be in the mornings this time of year and how long it takes to burn off.

We have a list of must do's but, with the exception of the Alcatraz tour, hope to keep our schedule flexible and wing it based on weather, etc.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,041 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fog?

Good news - This is not the foggy time of year. Bad news - this is the rainy time of year. Good news - we've not getting a lot of rain this year.

During the summer fog season, it generally burns off by noon-ish, but of course, there are no guarantees.

This time of year, there may be low clouds that obscure some of the views of the bridge or the bay, but it's hard to predict. For the most part, the fog should have little impact on your sightseeing.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fog?

We are having a very dry winter so far, and no rain is expected before the end of the month. We have had some days of tule fog in the morning, the fog that originates in the Central Valley and spills west, which is different from the summer fog that covers the City. So far this month mostly all day it is so clear I can "see forever".

Edited: 08 January 2012, 00:41
Missouri
Level Contributor
165 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fog?

Thanks for the feedback.

We always travel prepared for rain. I am somewhat disappointed as some fog with the bridge would make great photos. But, I'm sure I'll have plenty of great photos.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fog?

We have had some night/morning fog at the coast recently -- more than usual winters anyway. But it has been burning off (at the Golden Gate Bridge) generally by mid-to-late morning.

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fog?

Strange but true. We locals distinguish between kinds of fog. In the Midwest there are kinds of frozen or semifrozen water falling from the sky.

6. Re: Fog?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2013, 10:21