We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendations - "value" and a "splash out"!

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds
Level Contributor
115 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant recommendations - "value" and a "splash out"!

Just posted a question about "budget accommodation" on the forum!! We are on a budget for our 3 week trip from the UK as we'd like to spend more time seeing fabulous sights than couped up in a hotel room. :-)

So, we're looking for reccommendations for eats please. We'll eat on a budget mainly. By budget, I'm not talking "fast food". Just good value for money pubs/restaurants. Any recommendations greatly received.

However, we'd like to have at least one "splash out" meal at a decent restaurant during our 5-7 night trip. I'm thinking either a fish restaurant (Fishermans Wharf??), or a french bistro type place. We do eat at Michellin Star'd type restaurants at home when the occasion warrants it, so looking for recommends along a similar line please for a special meal.

Got a lot of info already from the forums, but any specific recommendatons would be really helpful for us to consider please.

Thanks again.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant recommendations - "value" and a "splash out"!

You definitely don't want you grand meal to be near Fisherman's Wharf. It's sad food in that area.

If you want good food - budget or no - you'll want to head into the neighborhoods.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant recommendations - "value" and a "splash out"!

Edit: I see RamblinSal already made the same comment about your "budget accommodation".

Apply standard verbiage about "your 'value-priced' is my flagrantly extravagant and somebody else's poverty level" here.

To get any kind of meaningful recommendations for either restaurants or lodging, you're going to need to fix actual numbers (in US dollars, because that's what we pay for things around these parts) to your terms "budget", "good value", and "splash out". Don't worry about what prevailing prices are in San Francisco, define what you're comfortable paying and people will either come back with recommendations or tell you what kind of adjustments will be made.

Edited: 08 January 2012, 20:29
--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant recommendations - "value" and a "splash out"!

sfimporter writes>>You definitely don't want you grand meal to be near Fisherman's Wharf. It's sad food in that area.....<<

Has Gary Danko entered some kind of space/time warp that frees them of their physical location?

Leeds
Level Contributor
115 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant recommendations - "value" and a "splash out"!

fair comment about the definition of "expensive".

im happy to spend $200 on a nice meal for two as long as its money well spent. :-) my idea of budget is around $60.

thank you so much for any helpful advice you can offer. the trip is for my partners 50th so we really ale planning the trip of a lifetime.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,099 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant recommendations - "value" and a "splash out"!

For good Seafood restaurants, Waterbar on the Embarcadero is a good choice as well as Sotte Mare in the North Beach Area. I also like Swan Oyster Depot and Hog Island for Oysters. In fact the Ferry Building has some great restaurants to try out

For French food for the "splash" Fleur de Llys or La Folie would be my personal top choices. I like Chez Papa as well as Chapeau

You have to try our Chinese restaurants in Chinatown and in the Inner Richmond Area (take the Muni to get there), Vietnamese restaurants in the Tenderloin area and Tacos and Burritos in the Mission.

For a good drink and food Comstock saloon is one of our favs.

http://www.sfgate.com/food/bargains/ has a list of Bargain bites. You can book many places and read reviews on opentable.com

Edited: 08 January 2012, 23:37
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,854 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant recommendations - "value" and a "splash out"!

$200 won't cut it at most of San Francisco's more famous restaurants. With wine, $400 is more realistic.

If you look at a place like Fleur de Lys for example, it is $72 for a three course menu, $82 for four course and $95 for five course and that is before tax, tip or drinks.

The top rated places to look at are Ame, Coi, Benu or Saison, Atlier Crenn, La Folie, Saison, Commis, Bix, Piperade, Fleur de Lys, Quince, Michael Mina. Gary Danko, Farallon, Acquerello, Masa’s, Spruce and Aziza.

I'd check their websites for their menus and prices.

Seafood places we like are include Tadich Grill, Sotto Mare, Sam's Grill, Hog Island Oyster Co, Swan Oyster Depot, Hyde Street Seafood House And Raw Bar, Anchor Oyster Bar and Hayes Street Grill. Some of these are just oyster bars, others full sit down restaurants.

As belomiser notes the Tenderloin has good Vietnamese restaurants and all are very reasonable, look at Pho Tan Hoa, Turtle Tower, Ha Nam Ninh, Pagolac and Anh Hong. There is also good Thai & Indian there. Consider Shalimar, Chutney and Lahore Karachi (Indian/Pakistani) for Indian and for Thai, Thai House Express and Lers Ros Thai.

If you are looking for good breakfast places, I like Sears Fine Food, Brenda's French Soul Food, Dottie's True Blue Care, farm:table, Farmer Browns and The Griddle .

You can look at reviews of these places at www.yelp.com or www.chowhound.com .

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,854 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant recommendations - "value" and a "splash out"!

Ooops sorry, I meant to mention Chinese and Italian too.

While Chinatown doesn't have the best Chinese food anymore, there are good spots like R&G Lounge, Z & Y Restaurant, Hunan Homes Restaurant and Hong Kong Clay Pot Restaurant. The best Chinese food is out in Inner and Outter Richmond now. Look at places like Good Luck, Shanghai Dumpling King, Hakka Restaurant, San Tung Chinese Restaurant, Taishan Cafe, Sichuan Home and Ton Kiang.

For Italian there a lot of good places in North Beach, check out Vicoletto, Trattoria Contadina, E' Tutto Qua, Franchino, Firenze by Night, Ristorante Ideale and Sodini's Green Valley,

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant recommendations - "value" and a "splash out"!

San Francisco has so many fun and unique spots that, unless you are foodie to the max, it's not necessary to spend all your life's savings for a great meal and wonderful experience. But, as sfimporter indicated in #1, those spots are generally found in the neighborhoods.

Many places have already been recommended -- especially with regards to Asian outside Chinatown.

I'll add a few others: Bistro Aix and Baker Street Bistro in the Marina. Capannina in Cow Hollow, Cafe Altano in Hayes Valley and Zazie in Cole Valley. This is just a small sampling of possibilities. You won't go hungry in this town!

Level Contributor
905 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant recommendations - "value" and a "splash out"!

As far as I know there is no TA SF Board curator who by agreement speaks for everyone. So you might take take with a pound of fleur de sel respsonses with the phrase WE recommend. SF is a food centric place. Each of us (and I am #1 on the list) is a food expert because we are extravagently spoiled by living in a (the ?) ground zero cutting edge place for food. All of us experts nit pick with each other all the time. There is no spokesperson.

Anyway you might build an evening around cocktails and Absinthe followed by a short walk to Jardinier (sic?) for dinner. Good vibe in both places.

Edited: 09 January 2012, 02:33
Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant recommendations - "value" and a "splash out"!

I really enjoy Thai Spice & try to eat there whenever we travel to SF. From Embarcadero, Union Square, & Fishermen's Wharf it's a cable car ride + a few blocks walk. You can look up their location, check out their menu on their website, and read reviews on yelp.com or chowhound.com, if interested. It's mainly a place where locals eat.

Edited: 09 January 2012, 03:12