We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surprise Birthday Trip - Jan 6 - Jan 9 Report

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
OK
Level Contributor
61 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Surprise Birthday Trip - Jan 6 - Jan 9 Report

I have always wanted to go to SF, and this was my 1st trip. It lived up to everything I thought it would be. We did purchase a MUNI pass which was well worth it; however, because there are so many ways to travel, it was a little confusing/overwhelming. Often times we'd be at a stop for 30 min or more with nothing coming by, so we'd take a cab. Yet, we did get our monies worth out of the pass. We stayed at the Hyatt Embarcadero which is the best location. It is directly across the street from the BART (subway) which made is flawless to find from SFO. The Cable Car also picks you up right in front, and the buses/trolley are 2 blocks away at the Ferry Building. Every hotel is pricy in SF, but we did upgrade to the 17th floor and access to the club floor on the 18th floor for , breakfast, snacks, appetizers, drinks and 360 views. We thought it was well worth it. The hotel is built with an all open atrium in the center like the pyramid hotel in Vegas, so it is a design aspect. The rooms are oddly shaped but do have great balconies and views of the bay!!! For our 2 full days we did a lot. We took Dylan's Tour which is run by 2 brothers. It was fabulous to support a small business and to find such knowledgeable, yet personal service. We saw all of the districts, parks, Muir Woods, GG Bridge, all the great views, Saulsalito, etc in 6 hours. It was a bargain and so valuable!!! After the tour, we took a taxi to the top of Lombard St. then ate at Sotto Mare! Then we bar hopped. Awesome seafood, a true neighborhood vibe, not touristy like the Pier or Wharf. Day 2 we spent at Alcatraz and along the Wharf and Pier. Love the seals and sea lions! That night we ate at Boulevard. Exceptional meal, service, and atmosphere. Also, not touristy, but easily found 2 blocks from the Ferry Building. It is pricy, however, but worth it. Thanks to the forum for all the help in making a quick surprise trip San Frantastic!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,506 posts
5,255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surprise Birthday Trip - Jan 6 - Jan 9 Report

Great report - thanks for sharing

Happy belated birthday.

Level Contributor
34,732 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surprise Birthday Trip - Jan 6 - Jan 9 Report

Sounds very fun! We were in San Francisco briefly a few days ago. :)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surprise Birthday Trip - Jan 6 - Jan 9 Report

Thanks for the report! You had fabuous weather for January :)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,426 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surprise Birthday Trip - Jan 6 - Jan 9 Report

Glad you had fun and this is a great report for first timers to our city to read. I remember getting the reverse sticker shock at restaurants and at the movies during a visit to Oklahoma and Edmonds and my first visit to a Sonic drive-in. We don't see to have those around the Bay Area. Do come back and see us again.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,245 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surprise Birthday Trip - Jan 6 - Jan 9 Report

Thanks for telling us about your trip. we're glad you hd such a good time.

Happy birthday 8-)

Brevard, North...
Level Contributor
225 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Surprise Birthday Trip - Jan 6 - Jan 9 Report

Thanks for sharing your trip report. My husband and I are planning a visit in June. I've reserved the Hyatt Embarcadero, club level room. Were you satisfied with the Regency Club breakfast? If you had drinks in the Regency club, how were the prices? I haven't been able to find much information regarding the Regency Club, so I greatly appreciate your opinion.

Happy Birthday!

OK
Level Contributor
61 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Surprise Birthday Trip - Jan 6 - Jan 9 Report

WNCANG,

With the room upgrade, all the food items were "free". Beer was $4, wine $5 and they had a quarter bar set up. Those "liquor" drinks were $6 with mid level brands. Everything else like soda, bottled water, juice, milk, coffee etc was FREE. We took sodas and water each day for our outings after breakfast. We thought those drink prices were a bargain anywhere! You self-serve also, so you know it's a good drink to your liking. The breakfast had cereal, oatmeal, pastries, toast, lots of fruit, boiled eggs, smoked salmon, yogurt, granola. It had a protein item each day, but it was never bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs. If that is what you want, it may not be for you. The appetizers were really good!!! Lots of hot items that differed each day. They always had veggies, dip, chips, queso, cheeses/cracker tray. The 3 nights we were there the hot items were as follows: nite 1 - shrimp, oysters, calamari; nite 2 - guacamole, 2 fresh salsas, and shrimp cerviche; nite 3 - hot wings, hummus. We went by each night for a drink/appetizer or dessert and appetizer. I loved relaxing up there with the views and massage chair!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,579 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Surprise Birthday Trip - Jan 6 - Jan 9 Report

Glad you enjoyed SF thanks for a nice TR.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Surprise Birthday Trip - Jan 6 - Jan 9 Report

Nice update on the goodies at the club level. That is very helpful (and I may check in for a night or two and not have to cook!!).

10. Re: Surprise Birthday Trip - Jan 6 - Jan 9 Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2013, 10:23