We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is SF busy Feb 5-11?

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
729 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
Why is SF busy Feb 5-11?

Hi,

I have been trying to get a hotel for these dates and always comes up booked. Finally Booking.com stated SF is very busy that week?

Just wandered why?

I switched my intinerary because Monterey was busy that week with Pebbles Beach Golf PGA. Now SF busy too?

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why is SF busy Feb 5-11?

I googled and found this info:

Event Name: American Academy Of Orthopedic Surgeons*

Event Dates: February 05 - February 10, 2012

Hope this helps you.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why is SF busy Feb 5-11?

The Kaiser Permanente 1/2 marathon is February 5th. The field is 10,000 runners. Not all out of the area of course.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why is SF busy Feb 5-11?

The convention mentioned in #1 is estimated to take 15,000 rooms!

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
292 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why is SF busy Feb 5-11?

We are going during that week for the meeting above (American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons). We booked our hotel August, and at that time many of the options were already full! We booked through the meeting, and they had a list of about 50 hotels for us to choose from. It is a huge meeting. I don't doubt the 15,000 rooms!

Brazil
Level Contributor
88 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why is SF busy Feb 5-11?

I'll be in SF for a conference Feb. 5-7 but only 1,500 participants as far as I know.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
178 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why is SF busy Feb 5-11?

The Chinese New Year parade is the 11th (it's a big deal in SF)

http://www.chineseparade.com/

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why is SF busy Feb 5-11?

If you continue to have difficultly booking any (or any affordable) hotel options within San Francisco proper, you may wish to consider a hotel in the East Bay or near SFO. The East Bay hotels (in Berkeley and Oakland specifically) have a lot more to offer than the hotels near SFO in terms of restaurants, nightlife, etc. We normally recommend against staying outside San Francisco if your intention is to visit the City itself, but if you are going to save $100/night, then it's well worth it...

P.S. Also give Hotwire and Priceline a shot, just in case. Maybe one hotel has been overlooked!

mentor
Level Contributor
76 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why is SF busy Feb 5-11?

The room block for the AAOS meeting will get released at some point...at least a week before the meeting, if not already so keep trying...

9. Re: Why is SF busy Feb 5-11?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2013, 10:18