We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is San Francisco so busy in January 2013?

Sydney
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Why is San Francisco so busy in January 2013?

Hi there,

I am having lots of trouble finding available accomodation for the week of 7th January 2013.

I have done a google search and can't see any reason for it. Even the reservations lady @ the 4 seasons and Grand Hyatt couldn't tell me.

Can anyone here please tell me why... I can re-jig our itinerary a couple of days here and there .

It's just frustrating.....

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why is San Francisco so busy in January 2013?

Many hotels book up to 330 days ahead. I'm pretty sure this is Hyatt's policy, at least.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,101 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why is San Francisco so busy in January 2013?

Yes it is a bit early to book. Even when you do make it one that can be cancelled so as to find better deals

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why is San Francisco so busy in January 2013?

I found this information in Google:

Tenth Annual High-Content Analysis

January 8-11, 2013

The Fairmont Hotel

San Francisco, California

Visit: www.highcontentanalysis.com

Maybe this is the reason why hotels are full as of now.....Hope this helps..

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Why is San Francisco so busy in January 2013?

JP Morgan Conference that is held at the Westin St. Francis. I would alter your dates if at all possible or look further away from Union Square Area. The first week of January should offer the best rates. Immediately after New Years is a slow period until the JP Morgan Conference starts.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why is San Francisco so busy in January 2013?

FalcoG writes>>I found this information in Google:....<<

When you actually read the web page you gave a link to you might notice that the 2012 conference, which was held a couple of weeks ago, had a whopping 350 attendees. This might squeeze a hotel a tad, but not multiple hotels. Unless, of course they have some kind of quantum leap in attendance next year.

Edited: 07 February 2012, 05:11
--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why is San Francisco so busy in January 2013?

PS - I've seen other references to this 330 day advanced booking limit, and am curious. Does anybody know why this number was chosen? Simply "11 months isn't quite a year"? `cause it's 512 in octal?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
266 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why is San Francisco so busy in January 2013?

I'm pretty sure the availability problem is that many if not most hotels do not allow online booking that far ahead. If they do allow reservations that far ahead it will be at the highest rates they can think they could get. Since that really is a sort of slow period generally, you should wait to book it sometime around mid year.

Sydney
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Why is San Francisco so busy in January 2013?

Thank you everyone for your replies.

The 330 days is odd but I have found that to be a regular occurrence!

The conferences sound like a reasonable reason....oh well.... will book something and keep trying throughout the year.

Much appreciated.

xoxo

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Why is San Francisco so busy in January 2013?

It's an annual bankers meeting for JP Morgan. All hotels and restaurants within a 3 mile radius of the Westin will be booked or blocked.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why is San Francisco so busy in January 2013?

The OP got their answer 4 months ago in #4.