We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

parking regulations

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
parking regulations

Are there any area's that are resident parking only?

Any parking regulations that you find in San Francisco only.

Thank You

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: parking regulations

1. Some residential areas have free street parking, but will have a one or two hour limit unless you have a permit. Read the signs in that area.

2. Some streets will become commuter lanes during rush hour, e.g. 3-7 pm, 4-6 pm, depending on the street. Vehicles will be towed during this time as well, so be sure to read the signs carefully.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,593 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: parking regulations

Here's a map that shows residential parking areas. sfmta.com/cms/…2011_RPPmap8.5x11_001.pdf

Usually this means that non-permit holders can park for a few hours before they must move, while residents can park up to 3 days (aside from street cleaning). You can see that it covers most of the city.

Here is a good resource for parking questions:

www.sfmta.com/cms/phome/homeparking.htm

You can see that some parking fines are as much as $935.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: parking regulations

1. You can find a map of all "Preferential Residential Parking" areas here: sfmta.com/cms/…rpp_85x11_webformpdf_000.pdf

2. Pay attention to street cleaning signs, as the street sweepers are preceded by a parking control officer merrily slapping tickets onto violator's windshields. Because of funding shortages street cleaning has been cut back to twice a month, leading to signs which require a calendar and decoder ring to figure out (No Parking First and Third Wednesday 9-11 AM). Hint -- if you find a block completely empty of cars, start worrying.

3. Remember that when you park on hills you need to curb your wheels, and are subject to citation if you don't. It's second nature for locals, but a foreign concept for flatlanders. There's some rule about how steep of a grade triggers the curbing requirement, but its far easier to just do it all the time.

Bonus note: For anybody who's considering using the residential parking map to identify areas where they can store their car long-term without paying for parking, please note:

- Like many cities, there's a 72 maximum time limit on street parking anywhere in the City.

- Residents in some areas in the City who didn't have enough political clout or had weak representation when the residential parking program was in the go-go stages still bear bitter resentment over the program (I know of at least one former supervisor who's political future crashed when they failed to take up the flag for their constituents -- it was really quite pleasurable to see their face fall when at a recent "test the water, meet, greet, and seek donors" event they were publicly reminded that they were still dead meat).

- If you choose to store your car in such a neighborhood make sure you scrupulously follow the section, line, and verse of all parking rules, as you never know who's fed up and will call the police to have you towed if you bend the rules. My personal favorite are the people who park overhanging into my driveway, and then spend several minutes studying the car from various angles to convince themselves that they really aren't in the driveway that much. See that f***ing street tree on the other side of the driveway, which the City unilaterally planted and is now sticking me with the maintenance costs? Yes it does stop me from maneuvering around you when I want to get the car out of the garage, and yes, as soon as you turn around the corner to the bus stop I'm calling to get you towed.

Ahhh, I feel so much better now......

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,463 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: parking regulations

My suggestion, unless you are staying in a vacation rental, would be to keep your car parked for the duration of your SF trip and get a MUNI passport and use that on all Buses, Trolleys and cable cars. As you can imagine, finding parking in most of the tourist areas is a pain (as in in the residential neighborhoods) and expensive.

Fremont, California
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: parking regulations

these guys have mostly covered it, but just keep in mind that if you're parking in a residential area, people are going to be really nitpicky. make sure not to be in any red zones even in the slightest and keep driveways completely open, lest a passive aggressive note be left in your wipers.

also meter maids are VERY punctual, so don't let your car sit out after the parking period expires, not even for like 5 minutes.

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: parking regulations

Will my NYC handicap placard be covered by the following? The State of California issues disabled placards or license plates that exempt vehicles from parking time limits so long as the person to whom the placard is issued is being transported and is within a reasonable proximity of the vehicle. Exempted time limits include signed parking time limits, residential parking permit areas, regular parking meters, and green zones. The placard or license plate also exempts payments at on-street parking meters and allows for the use of blue zones. All other parking restrictions apply.

Thank you for the replies.

Edited: 19 February 2012, 19:17
7. Re: parking regulations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 August 2012, 05:35
8. Re: parking regulations

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 August 2012, 05:35
9. Re: parking regulations

Removed on: 14 August 2012, 06:05
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,245 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: parking regulations

Red zones, yellow zones, white zones, green zones, blue zones.

Parking meters (tolls vary; so do fines, depending on location).

There is a degree of incline where curbing wheels is mandatory. It may be 15 degrees, but I don't remember for sure. As Caffiend says, just do it on any slope and be safe. If your car is facing downhill, turn the wheels in toward the curb; if facing uphill, turn wheels outward.

Vehicles must be parked within 18 inches of the curb in San Francisco (more stringent than the CVC).

This thread is one good indication of why we usually suggest visitors not rent cars here, or rent just for the specific period needed and turn it in ASAP.