We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

49 mile drive

hants, uk
Level Contributor
484 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
49 mile drive

sorry....another question !

I have a hire car in SF for one day (a Friday) before i need to return it and thinking of ways to take advantage....i have read about the 49 mile drive and problems with missing signs along the route, and how it can be shortened , but cannot find a map to download even on a google search...

I want to attempt "some" of the 49 mile drive - ie the "must see" bits with a car. These include driving up/down Lombard Street, Haight Ashbury & Alamo Sq, Japantown, Castro, Mission, Golden Gate Park?, Cliff House for lunch (and Ocean beach)? maybe Bakers Beach/Lands End? and then the sunset @ Twin Peaks...

Perhaps with the car I should drive over the Golden gate Bridge ?! I am getting very confused with sorting this out as a "route" - could anyone help or advise ? (or suggest anything else I should either miss or defo see with car ?!)

( I have the weekend free to use Bart/Muni to explore Chinatown, Golden Gate Bridge, cable cars, Telegraph hIll & coit Tower, Alcatraz, Fishermans Wharf, embacardo , Fleet Week etc etc!!....so much to see.....)

Thanks for any advice - the info on this site is fantastic !!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 49 mile drive

Here's a map

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
53,537 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 49 mile drive

If you do want to do part of the drive it makes sense to see areas like Twin peaks and Golden gate park and the Presidio as they have some parking Twin peaks at times does have open spots.

Having said that if you are driving, then you are spending more time looking at the road and map than on the things you want to see You could use a Hop ON OFF service or MUNI to see most of the city and use a car to go out of the city for day trips

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 49 mile drive

If you're speaking of the crooked part of Lombard Street it is one way down (from Hyde).

I don't think I'd recommend driving to Alamo Square, the Mission, Japantown, the Castro or the Haight unless you just want to drive by as the parking in both areas is pretty tough.

I agree with above, go to the areas not on a Hop On Hop Off but do the others via a tour. Land's End, GG Park and Baker Beach are OK by car.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 49 mile drive

If you happen to be schlepping your GPS ("Satnav") receiver with you, or have a smartphone with a true GPSR routing app running on it you can download both .gpx and Garmin format (.gdb) routing information from here http://usmotogpfans.com/roads/49mdplus/ . Note the route has been tweaked to modernize it a tad, the page has notes regarding the changes.

Oostburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
270 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 49 mile drive

I lived in SF many years and have never taken that drive. Personally I'd forget about the 49 Miles, and pick out maybe 5 special locations I really want to visit (drive across the GG bridge to Sausalito would be one of them.)

hants, uk
Level Contributor
484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 49 mile drive

Hiya, thanks for replies - advice has been noted...

I think my top 5 include

-drive across GG bridge (to Sausalito, or somewhere else?) and obviously drive back.

-Twin Peaks (at sunset)

-the crooked part of Lombard Street

- Golden Gate Park (& Japanese tea Garden)

-Cliff House (is this near Ocean Beach?)

and maybe Baker Beach or lands End ?(for good views of bridge?)

-a quick stop at Alamo Square to see The Painted Ladies?

I know this is more than 5 , but I have got all day, or should i give something a miss?!...

And...if im not following any seagull signs, whats the best logical route to take to try and see all this ?! ( I think I may be staying in union Sq area)....

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 49 mile drive

Walking Lombard is much better than driving it. Although parking is very tough in that area.

Check out the Marin headlands before going into Sausalito, great views of the city and bridge from up there.

Check out the Presidio, especially the western end.

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 49 mile drive

Here is the 49 miles drive guide on android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details…

9. Re: 49 mile drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 23:17