We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BART from airport with luggage?

debbonnett@aol.com
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
BART from airport with luggage?

How easy is it to travel on BART from SFO with luggage? We will be in town for a week so I have 1 large suitcase. We are staying at the Hyatt Embarcadero so it drops us off right in front of the hotel, I am just worried if there is room for luggage on BART.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BART from airport with luggage?

Lots of people have luggage on BART. You see them getting off all the time and rolling their luggage behind them on the streets along the route. It is easier to get around if your suitcase has wheels. Also easier to ride outside of commute hours.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BART from airport with luggage?

BART service to SFO was added well after the last BART cars were constructed. As a consequence BART train cars do NOT have a dedicated luggage storage space or rack the way you see on some newer mass transit system vehicles or cars. There is, however, a "wide spot" (ntbcw wet spot which sometimes occurs during rainfall for all you dirty-minded persons) by each door into a BART train car, which is intended for use by wheelchair users, but in the absence of the same can be used by people with luggage or bicycles. Unless you luck into an adjacent seat, you'll have to stand with your luggage. Please respect the rights of wheelchair users to the spaces and move your luggage if a wheelchair user enters the car.

The aisle of BART train cars aren't wide enough to stow most luggage; using them to do so becomes a nuisance and safety hazard for other passengers, particularly during the commute hours when the trains are crowded. Similarly stowing your luggage on a seat is poor manners if people are standing in the car.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,524 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BART from airport with luggage?

SFO is the beginning of the route into the city, so you are likely to find an appropriate spot for you and your suitcase. I'm not much of a risk taker, so I wouldn't want to use a luggage rack that was very far from my seat anyway.

I'm thinking if they didn't want suitcases on BART they wouldn't have made a stop at the airport.

debbonnett@aol.com
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BART from airport with luggage?

Thanks for the help.

5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: BART from airport with luggage?

What about riding the cable car on a Fri around 1:00pm with a carry on suitcase. Planned to take BART from SFO to Powell and cable car to Wharf. There are 4 of us all with a carry on with wheels.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
7,451 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BART from airport with luggage?

<<laughing at what przyk wrote>>

Leaving SFO and heading into the City, you can usually find a place to sit and put your luggage close to you (across from the wide spot Caffiend mentioned) or if your bag is not too big, you can slide into a forward-facing seat and pull the bag over in front of you. You'll be a little cramped up, but it's better than having people trip over your bag at each stop.

I plan my flights so that I'm not on BART during heavy commuter times.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BART from airport with luggage?

LouLou, the cable car is a much tighter physical environment than BART. I'd suggest taking BART to Montgomery, going to Kearny St. (towards the back of the train) and taking the 8X bus, which I believe would be the least crowded transit alternative up to the Wharf.,

5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: BART from airport with luggage?

Thanks, I've been trying to download some of the muni maps off their site but haven't had much luck. We'll the 8x.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BART from airport with luggage?

Lou Lou, I wouldn't bother with the 8X after getting off BART. Go over to the Hyatt Regency and get a cab to Fisherman's Wharf ... $10 or so at most.

While I usually agree with caffiend (and God knows he sucks up to me LOL), I must disagree with this: "Similarly stowing your luggage on a seat is poor manners if people are standing in the car."

For the poor folks who are getting gouged $8.10 to ride BART into the city when everyone else on the line is paying no more than $5-6 and within the city it's $1.75, they have every right to take a seat for their suitcases. And, unless these travelers are coming into the city rather early in the morning it's not an issue anyway.

But when I'm coming in from the airport I feel my bag bought that seat darn it!!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,485 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BART from airport with luggage?

I am in violent agreement. Yes they did build BART to the airport so that folks from the Airport can haul their bags to the city. But I also agree that at times, I have seen those wheelies roll and get stopped by my foot which is ok and does not hurt but what does hurt is when those heavy bags topple.

I wish just like some of the major metros like London and Hong Kong, there were direct trains from the Airport to Market Street. Wishful thinking

Luggage on Cable Cars -- that is a new one. we need some humor on these forums to help us answer the same old questions :-)

Edited: 25 February 2012, 01:09