We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late evening arrival to airport, Hotel en route to Sonoma?

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
358 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Late evening arrival to airport, Hotel en route to Sonoma?

Hi, I'm looking for suggestions for a place to stay,the night we arrive. We preferably would just find a place to grab some dinner and hang till morning, I'm thinking it will be at least 7:15-7:30 before we could get out with the rental car.. We will not be going into the city, but heading to Sonoma the next morning. I want to wait and drive the bridge in the daytime, so I can take it all in. I don't know if it's possible to keep it under 200$, but that is what i need.. If it was in a place we could walk around a little bit after dinner, that would be great.

2nd Question: We will be taking a redeye flight back home.. Is there a good place we could park the car and ride the metro into the city for the day.. Wouldn't have to be at the airport till 7:30P

Thanks , to all who might offer suggestions. Oh yes, June trip

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late evening arrival to airport, Hotel en route to Sonoma?

In June the sun won't set until very late. It won't be dark until well after 9:00.

When you say bridge do you mean the Godlen Gate?

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
358 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late evening arrival to airport, Hotel en route to Sonoma?

Yes, or if there is a better route, I would take that.. I'm looking at an Atlas, hard to tell which way is best.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late evening arrival to airport, Hotel en route to Sonoma?

Well if you plan to cross the GG you will be going through the city. So why not stay in the city that night and then cross the bridge in the am. At least you wouldn't have to deal with the commute traffic going into the city. You could just head out of the city in the morning and capture whatever view you planned of the GG in the morning?

Edited: 27 February 2012, 23:40
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Late evening arrival to airport, Hotel en route to Sonoma?

One suggestion might be to head out of the airport on 380-W to 280-N to Skyline Blvd to the Great Hwy. It's a nice drive along Ocean Beach (in June it may be more fog than sun, but you may get lucky). There's a little place called Seal Rock Inn. Nothing fancy, it has mixed reviews on this board, but for one night I don't think you could go that wrong. You could have dinner at the Cliff House and then walk around the Land's End area. I've never stayed at Seal Rock Inn, but I've eaten breakfast there often. Good breakfast place! From there, your about 10 minutes to the Golden Gate Bridge. You can take Lincoln Blvd through the Presidio with some really nice views as you approach the bridge.

Edited: 27 February 2012, 23:50
Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
358 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late evening arrival to airport, Hotel en route to Sonoma?

Thank you Suzie and LD, I have already called the Seal Rock Inn, Sounds like just the kind of place we like,, We like MOM and POPish and interesting, As long as it is clean and not in disrepair.. It is in a decent neighborhood for walking at night? Till 10 or so? They only do 2 night reservations on the weekend, so I will rearrange our plans.. looks like public transportation goes into the city from their corner, So we will spend the day Sunday exploring the city.. Then head on to Sonoma on Monday.. Any suggestions for same type accommadations in Sonoma or St Helena? I have a couple of places picked out if anyone is familiar.. The INN at Sonoma and El Bonita ?

los angeles
Level Contributor
9,305 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late evening arrival to airport, Hotel en route to Sonoma?

My opinion is that since your plans have changed and you are going to explore the city on Sunday, you should stay in the Union Square area. From there you can easily explore North Beach, Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf (and the Union Square area itself). It's also a great hub for public transportation. And things do stay open late there for your arrival the night before. Many restos, bars, etc.

Last summer my husband and I really enjoyed the Camellia Inn in Healdsburg (Sonoma):

http://www.camelliainn.com/

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late evening arrival to airport, Hotel en route to Sonoma?

I agree with above. Seal Rock Inn might be OK for one night but you are on the extreme far western edge of the city and it would not make a good place to base a visit to SF from.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,120 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Late evening arrival to airport, Hotel en route to Sonoma?

Seal Rock Inn sounds good for a one night over night so you can take the Golden Gate Bridge in the morning, Sal Is right, it would not be a place that most would recommend as a place for exploring the city. I also would not go into the Union Square area as most of the hotels there are going to charge $35-50 for parking, which seems very silly for maybe a 12 hour stay.

About the only other place I might recommend as an alternative more towards the core would be one of the motor lodges, mostly on Lombard St, since they don't charge for parking. See the link below for those hotels.

http://www.baylandinghotel.com/sister.html

For the 2nd question, you might see how early you can check your bags at the airport and just ride the BART from the airport after returning your car. Failing that, the link below has all the BART stations and if you click on the name of the station it gives details about parking at that station.

http://www.bart.gov/stations/

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Late evening arrival to airport, Hotel en route to Sonoma?

The neighborhood (Outer Richmond) is very safe. The 38 Geary bus can get you to Union Square in about 30 minutes. You've got free parking, your about 10 minutes to the bridge, and the drive is fairly easy and uncongested.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Late evening arrival to airport, Hotel en route to Sonoma?

<<38 Geary bus can get you to Union Square in about 30 minutes.>>

This is completely untrue. Even Muni says it will take about an hour. There is a 38 Limited which takes 45 minutes. Even the commuter express (which only runs to 8:30) takes almost 40 minutes.