We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite trip from San Francisco

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,954 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Yosemite trip from San Francisco

We are spending a week in San Francisco and are considering a trip to Yosemite in mid April. Don't think we want to do the rental car and tire chains. I have seen some 15 passenger van trips from San Francisco, either a day trip or overnight. Amtrak seems to run there on the weekend only that time of year.

Any recommendations?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,669 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite trip from San Francisco

Incredible Adventures has the smaller buses you mention.

Extranomical also has tours.

If you are spending a week, at least do an overnight so you can get to see the place instead of spending 8+ hours in a bus for a day trip

Long Barn...
Level Contributor
4,717 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite trip from San Francisco

belo is correct. You really need to spend an overnight at least to get the most out of Yosemite. Chain requirements in mid April would be a rare event in Yosemite Valley, and would certainly not last long. Using Hwy 140 entrance is the low elevation entrance lessening snow conflicts.

Amtrak runs 7 days a week, but the route from S.F. to Yosemite valley uses a combination of bus and trains..

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite trip from San Francisco

I did the Extranomical Day Trip and it was good. It was a long day but got to see a good bit of the Park (not the Giant Sequoias though due to too much snow on the trail). The bus picked me up at the hotel which was handy. Some on the tour stayed the night but I didn't have enough time so the Day Trip did me fine.

4. Re: Yosemite trip from San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2013, 10:18