We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What neighborhood is cool?

Irvine, CA
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What neighborhood is cool?

Looking to take my 18 yr Son to look at colleges in April. I think I want to rent a Flat on VRBO. They are all categorized by neighborhoods, which neighborhood would an 18yr old like.

DC from SoCal

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,374 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What neighborhood is cool?

I think we don't know what your 18-year old thinks is "cool".

Can you ask him what kind of neighborhood he would like to be in? Then we can name some for you.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
16,243 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What neighborhood is cool?

If he's a preppy, the Marina or Cow Hollow

If he's a skater boi or Burner*, the Haight

If he's a hipster or edgy artist, the Mission

If he's gay, the Castro

Those are the "cool" local neighborhoods in very broad, even stereotyped, terms.

*Burning Man aficionado - It's an art and music festival in the Nevada desert that attracts hippies, proto-hippies, artists and those who want to be any of the above. It actually produces some amazing art. But it can also offer nudity and drugs.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,084 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What neighborhood is cool?

What are the schools he is considering and what is he studying?

That might help us suggest neighborhoods to stay in for: 1) convenient location for visiting the colleges; 2) possible future reference if he is going to live off campus at some point; and 3) areas with features that he might like to know about, as a potential student and prospective resident.

Irvine, CA
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What neighborhood is cool?

Wow, do I feel old, I guess he would be a hipster, artsy kinda guy. In school he will either do advertising, or media, both are in the school of communication. He loves his art , and wants to incorporate it into some aspect of his career.

thanks

Edited: 04 March 2012, 13:15
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What neighborhood is cool?

I think FRR is right. If you're going to see Cal and Stanford, for instance, then it would make sense to be somewhere convenient to BART and CalTrain. If you're here to do SF State or USF, that opens up different options.

Where will you be visiting?

Irvine, CA
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What neighborhood is cool?

I will be visting Sf State and USF, April 14th for the weekend.

Not sure what you mean? As far as tourist sights, what is a "must" see?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,005 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What neighborhood is cool?

Berkeley.

Berkeley is cool.

Then you could visit St Mary's too and your son must know plenty of people at Cal since you are in Irvine.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What neighborhood is cool?

If you're here for just a weekend, I think staying at a hotel in Union Square will make more sense than trying to VRBO. The two schools are not close together so you won't find one place that will be near both of them. But Union Square is on good transit for getting anywhere.

USF is easy to get to from Union Square via the 21-Hayes or 5-Fulton buses. SF State is a bit further out but the M-Ocean View Muni Metro gets there fairly quickly as the eastern section is underground.

If you need to get from one to the other (if you're visiting both on Saturday), the 28-19th Ave and the 5-Fulton will do it.

However, you may have to bite the bullet and rent a car if you're planning on visiting both schools in one day. Be prepared however, as parking is expensive downtown and not easy to find around USF.

How much time will you have for touring? Sunday until? What kinds of things do you like to do/see? Alcatraz is very popular but takes a chunk of time. Is this your first visit to the city? Perhaps a Hop On/Hop Off tour to get the lay of the land?

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What neighborhood is cool?

I'd look in the Dolores Park/Castro/Duboce Triangle zone. From there you could catch the M light rail to SF State at Castro St. station. You can also catch the 33 trolley bus along 18th St.--one of San Francisco's most scenic (if not blindlingly fast!) lines--over to USF. And it's definitely a cool part of town by many people's lights.

In the East Bay (not that you want to stay there for this trip), the mantle of cool has definitely passed from Berkeley to Oakland.

Edited: 05 March 2012, 18:24
10. Re: What neighborhood is cool?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 17:40