We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Me Decide Please!!!!

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MISSOURI
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Help Me Decide Please!!!!

I'm not sure which plan I should go with(husband is NO help) ;)

option 1------ fly into SFO arriving late (Wed nite @11pm) taking taxi to hotel, maybe grab a bit to eat(if things are open that late) go to bed, check out of hotel, get up early(Thurs) and hit it hard in San Frann and then rent car and head towards Big Sur that evening(Thurs) or late afternoon if we see all we want to see.

option 2------fly into SFO arriving around 11am on Thursday ,take taxi to hotel and then do as much sight seeing as we can and spend the nite, getting up early to rent a car and head out of town

Airfare is not that much different in the two options.

Only thing i can see that is causing a problem is where would we keep our luggage until we rented the car? If we fly in the day before when we check out will the hotel hold our bags until like 5 or 6pm??

I planned on renting a car from Enterprise on Beach St, and they dont open till 7:30am

I maybe over thinking this toooo much!! Flying in on Wed nite might give us more time cause we are early risers and we could beat the crowds at most of the things we want to see. BUT i have the luggage issue???

Our list in SF is bike across GGB, Alcatraz, and ride a Cable car, maybe the crooked street, I know there is a lot more to see but for our first visit and time limited its a short list.

san luis obispo
Level Contributor
53 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Me Decide Please!!!!

Since you have a rental car, I would skip Alcatraz in favor of exploring the Presidio, GG Park and the viewpoint at Twin Peaks.

MISSOURI
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Me Decide Please!!!!

I dont think I could talk my husband out of Alcatraz, he would probably never forgive me!! LOL

San Francisco
Level Contributor
119 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Me Decide Please!!!!

To me option 2 seems easiest. You could check in Thursday afternoon and dump the luggage in your room, then head out for the rest of the afternoon & evening. Then you could wake up early (maybe even sightsee a little?) then check out, get your car, put your luggage in your car, and head out of town doing some more sightseeing along the way (like driving down Lombard Street). If you left SF by about 2pm you could be in Big Sur by 6pm with time for a short stop or two along the way. I don't know what time of year you'll be travelling but you might want to plan arriving at your Big Sur hotel before dark, so you get the benefit of seeing the pretty views along the way. But there's not tons to "do" in Big Sur so I'd try to maximize your Friday in SF before heading south. Just my 2 cents.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Me Decide Please!!!!

Are you getting an extra day in SF with option 1 or are the few hours in SF your only visit to the city. That is a very short way to see the city.

If you leave in the afternoon for Big Sur you will hit traffic as there is no carpool lane all the way on 280 or 101 and I'm not sure why you are driving all the way to Big sur without stopping enroute. Is this a quick 1-2 day trip ? If so, please spend that time in SF

MISSOURI
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Me Decide Please!!!!

The dates I have so far is May 16th or 17th to May 24th.

Starting in SF then down to Big Sur and over to Sequoia and Yosemite, stopping in Monterey and where ever else we see a good photo op, then back to SF to fly home. I know there is a ton of things to see in SF but we just dont have enough vacation days and we just want to hit the top must see and do's for us.

I just wasnt sure if I would be gaining more time in SF by coming in late Wed nite, and having Thursday (all morning and afternoon) as opposed to just a afternoon and evening, then having to wait around to pick our rental car up, so I'm thinking we wouldn't get on the road out of SF till after 8am on Friday morning???

Is that a major traffic nightmare?? At 8am???

Edited: 05 March 2012, 21:13
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Me Decide Please!!!!

If you go south on 280 then you should be ok at 8 am There will be traffic but it won't be bad.

Your earlier question was about coming a day earlier. If you are getting more time in CA then why not come earlier ?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,555 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Me Decide Please!!!!

I would never fly into a new city at 11PM!

There would be no "choice" involved for me!

MISSOURI
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Me Decide Please!!!!

belomiser....it wouldn't really be a day cause we would get there on Wed nite at 11pm. I was just thinking about when we got up the next day (Thurs) we would have ALL day in SF and we are early risers and so we could get a jump start on the day of sight seeing!!

@Riff M.....you do have a point!!!

I'm probably just over thinking things, and just need to take a few days off from planning!!

I wish we had more vacation days to play with then I wouldn't have this problem!!!

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,516 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Me Decide Please!!!!

Option 2, since with Option 1 you'll start the most gorgeous drive late in the afternoon, with little remaining daylight. SF to Monterey on the coast route is 3 hours, then Monterey to Big Sur is another 1 to 1-1/2 hours. And the coast is so beautiful that you'll want to pull over every 5 minutes for photos, thus lengthening the drive.

Since SF is not the priority for you, go ahead and give it a once-over-lightly, and save your best timing for the trip to Big Sur.

MISSOURI
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Me Decide Please!!!!

Thanks everyone, I really do wish we had more time for SF but at least we will see some of it!!

I think I will just stick with the orignial plan of arriving around 11am(Thurs) and just go from there!! Unless airfare drops drastically then I'll have to re-think my plans again!!! LOL