We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oakland A's - pre game bars

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wales
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Oakland A's - pre game bars

Hi,

We are going to opening day against Seattle but wondered where we could go within reasonable walking distance to the stadium for pre game drinks?

A lively bar with plenty of other baseball fans is what we are looking for.

Could anyone recommend please?

Thanks in advance.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oakland A's - pre game bars

You may want to pop over to the Oakland Forum as the Oakland A's play there and not in SF. Most of the Bars I know are in Oakland and on the border with Berkeley but The fine TA folks in the East Bay are often on this forum and may be able to help out shortly. If this is your first game, you may want to go there early and walk around and check out the park and see the teams practice and perhaps have a couple of beers there

Edited: 20 March 2012, 21:40
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oakland A's - pre game bars

It's been awhile since I was at an A's game, but I don't recall anything within "walking distance" of the Colesium. Partly because the parking lot is huge -- not to mention it's not in the greatest neighborhood.

I think I would stick with having an "eye opener" in the city before you head over OR getting beers at the stadium.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,021 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oakland A's - pre game bars

Probably nothing within walking distance of the stadium, but since it's on a BART line you can drink somewhere else along the BART line and then get to the game.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oakland A's - pre game bars

Thanks has good advice on this. You could take BART to Oakland City Center/12th St. station and walk to The Trappist--a craft beer bar, Pacific Coast Brewery--a brewpub, and several other possibilities. Then you can get back on a Fremont train and take it 3 stops to Coliseum for the A's.

Edited: 21 March 2012, 02:37
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,086 posts
5,161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oakland A's - pre game bars

Just go to the stadium.

There is a large bar area at the stadium which is lively with baseball fans prior to the game. There are TVs in the area - shows the Oakland a game during the game - but before will show other sporting events. This is also where Westside Club is - open to anyone who has an A ticket. This is where you can do sit down dining as well. Its basically stadium fair - but fun to do. We sometimes are lucky enough to have our meal with a gorgeous view of the game - not all tables have that good of view however. For more information see:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/westside-club-oakland

oakland.athletics.mlb.com/index.jsp…

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,021 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oakland A's - pre game bars

Liquor prices at the stadium are very high.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,086 posts
5,161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oakland A's - pre game bars

Drink beer at the As and its ok deal.

Its fun as well.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oakland A's - pre game bars

There is nothing within walking distance of the Coliseum. I wouldn't recommend checking the neighborhood out either--there are some pretty bad parts of town very close by. Your best bet is to use BART. You can pre-game at one of the many bars near the 12th or 19th Street stations. Wanderer has some good starting suggestions, but you may want to check http://www.yelp.com for proper sports bar options.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oakland A's - pre game bars

Well, I'll contribute one sports--the GO Sports Bar at 736 Washington (8th St.), just a few minutes walk from the 12th St. BART station. Yelp reviews are generally favorable. There might be other sports bars that I'm missing, but most of the Downtown Oakland bars have a different vibe.

sf
Level Contributor
3,175 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Oakland A's - pre game bars

I agree with not walking around the stadium. If you're driving there is a restaurant called Francesco's down Hegenburger Rd that has decent food and a bar, there is also the sports bar at the Hilton on Hegenburger close to the airport.

Or if taking BART -Wanderer's suggestions of Pacific Coast is one of my favorite East Bay Breweries.