We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Beach

Florida
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Topic
North Beach

Are there any suggested activities in the North Beach area for 9 & 14 yr old boys? Already plan on visiting Gg Bridge, FW, Alcatraz, Chinatown & Exploritorium.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Beach

Well......... there are a bunch of strip clubs on Broadway.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Other than restaurants probably no. Take them to Golden Boy pizza! I like NB, but it's mostly bars and restaurants, some botique shops. I can't think of anything boys of that age would be interested in other than food, there is a lot of good food there.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,229 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Beach

travelforkids.com/Funtodo/California/San_Fra…

Florida
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: North Beach

Belo, great article and quite informative. Thanks!

Palo Alto, CA
Level Contributor
56 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Beach

Walk up Telegraph Hill and see if you can spot the parrots -- yelp.com/biz/the-parrots-of-telegraph-hill-s… -- there's even a documentary about them. Another fun place to visit for an hour or two, if your kids like hands-on creative activities, is the Children's Creativity Museum http://creativity.org/ -- which the rest of us call Zeum. Don't forget to make reservations for the Tactile Dome at the Exploratorium. The California Academy of Sciences in GG Park is also well worth a visit.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,524 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Beach

City Lights Bookstore, a favorite of the Beat Generation.

http://www.citylights.com/

Florida
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: North Beach

What age group is appropriate for the Exploritorium? My kids get bored very easy. How far is N Beach from Union Square?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Beach

Your kids are the perfect age for the Exploratorium. I took my world weary 12 year old niece a few years back and had trouble getting her out after 3 hours.

NB to Union Square is a nice walk. Head through Chinatown (Grant and Stockton) you will come to Columbus. Follow Columbus into NB. Takes about 45 minutes to an hour at a stroll.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,633 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North Beach

Some of those suggestions are very far from north beach.

There is washington square park with room to run around. There is Joe DiMaggio playground and pool, which presumably contains a playground and a pool. There is a candy store to get the kids hyped up on sugar.

But no, I can't think of any big kid-focused major attractions around all the restaurants, coffee shops and bars in North Beach.

Edited: 23 March 2012, 14:53
Florida
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: North Beach

Better to spend time elsewhere it sounds? Since we only have 2 1/2 days maybe just stick to FW, gg bridge, Alcatraz, Chinatown, exploritorium (where is this located in relation to union square and fw?) any other must sees?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North Beach

The Exploratorium is located in the Marina at the Palace of Fine Arts. Baker and Jefferson Streets.

If you are taking the 28-19th Ave bus to the Golden Gate Bridge it passes right by.