We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick San Francisco weekend

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
13 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Quick San Francisco weekend

I'm planning a quick weekend trip to San Francisco and want to make sure we pack in as many things as possible. Fly in on Thursday night and fly out Sunday morning. I believe either Friday or Saturday night we would like to do the Alcatraz night tour.

This is a girls weekend in May. We are in our 30's and do like all the weird and wacky things, hidden secret gems, and want to make sure we get as much done as possible.

I am looking for suggestions on places to go, must-see's, local secrets, best little places to eat, and maybe a bar or two to wind our evening down (not a night club, a local watering hole would do).

We are staying down by the Union Square. Please help!!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,270 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick San Francisco weekend

Have a look at the top questions and it tells you where to go and what to do in SF. Book alcatraz tour at alcatrazcruises.com Going through this forum will give you an idea of must sees -- you can take a hop on/off tour and do all the touristy things in the city in a couple of days. Look at citysighseeing.com for their Ho/ho

Not sure what one considers weird and wacky but have a look at sfweekly.com to see if any of the events would fit that bill.

For a great bars, look at Bourbon and Branch or Comstock saloon. There are others you can find walking around Union Square area. Plenty of shopping for named brands in that area. If you want to see boutiques, check out Hayes valley or the mission or Union Street (not square)

Thousands of restaurants in the city so the best place to eat is very subjective and based on cuisne, location, budget and taste. Chowhound and urbanspoon are good to look at. sfgate.com/food has top 100 restaurants from the local newspaper and you could start with that list or their bargain bites list

Don't forget to bring some warm gear. May in SF is not hot and a light jacket will come in handy

Edited: 28 March 2012, 17:00
Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
13 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick San Francisco weekend

Thank you! I have been to SF before and have caught a few of the sights but we are on a deadhead mission on this one ;)

I did read some of the links you pointed out. I love the suggestions but I'm also looking for that "one spot" that you just can't miss or have to try.

Again, thank you for the feedback so far!!

san francisco
Level Contributor
543 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick San Francisco weekend

The Blackhorse London Pub is the ultimate hole in the wall, the smallest bar in san francisco. Beer only. Union and Van Ness. You can enjoy a drink before/after a nice dinner at Helmund Palace (amazing Afghan food) across the street or at BoBo's (pricey but delicious steakhouse with great ambience) on Lombard and Van Ness or at The House of Prime Rib (an SF institution - another great restaurant with great atmosphere) on Van Ness and Wahington...

have fun!!!

Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
13 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick San Francisco weekend

Awesome! Thank you!!!

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,025 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick San Francisco weekend

House of Prime Rib is one of our top favorites. Great beef. Terrific salad. And the drinks are VERY well made! Mrs. OregonJohn had her favorite Tanqueray martini -- with 3 olives -- and they left the shaker at the table. Enough for three FULL martini glasses! Drink was about $8=$9.

6. Re: Quick San Francisco weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2013, 10:39