We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 day itinerary for San Fran (no car)

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Delaware
Level Contributor
79 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
2 day itinerary for San Fran (no car)

I saw some ideas for a 2 day itinerary but they didn't include all of what we want to do so I thought I'd throw out our desired tourist spots and see what all you experts suggest:)

Also I have reservations for 3 different hotels because I just can't decide which would be the best location for us. 1-Argonaut, 2-BW+ Tuscan Inn Fishermans Wharf 3-Hyatt Regency San Francisco- Embarcadero

-june 17th...drive from Carmel to SFO to drop rental car then take taxi to hotel, get dinner and walk around Fisherman's Wharf?? Eat dessert at Ghirardelli Sq.? we'll be getting to the hotel around 4 pm and I'm not sure how late restaurants are open til on Sundays (if we stay at argonaut or best western)

These are the other places we'd like to see between the 18th/19th:

-Golden Gate PArk/Presidio area- not the museums-maybe the Cliff House, Crissy Field and Promenade, ALcatraz,North Beach, Sausalito, Lombard St., Painted ladies, Golden Gate Bridge-at least see it- not necessarily walk across it and of course a cable car ride:)

Also I was trying to figure out if we should take a 1-day tour then go back to places we really liked. Or just chunk together the places and be able to spend 1-2 hours at each place??

I've looked at maps and all but it's hard to tell distances and hills to plan how far we could walk and how long it would take. We're somewhat active but not power walkers (myself, hubby, 13 and 15 yr old)

Thanks so much for any input!

Detroit
Level Contributor
101 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 day itinerary for San Fran (no car)

Take a look at the reviews for Dylan's Tours . I think that he could provide you with a great introduction to the city and you can see so much more with someone who knows the city well.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,460 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 day itinerary for San Fran (no car)

Of the hotels you mention, the Argonaut would be the choice of most regulars on this forum as far as Fisherman's wharf is concerned. As far as Embarcadero, the Vitale and Harbor Court would trump the Hyatt there

The previous poster mentions Dylan's which is a great half day tour. Another option is to go with the city sightseeing 2 day ho/ho tour which you can take at your own leisure and cover both Sausalito and Muir Woods if you like. Dylan's does that in their tour as well.

As far as restaurants go, the top 100 restaurants in SF as decided by one person and his small staff just came out -- the Chronicle's top 100 . No one will agree with all choices but i have quite a few in there we love as a family

http://www.sfgate.com/food/top100/2012/

Don't worry Fisherman's wharf is all about tourists so finding dinner on Sunday should not be a problem. In fact if you are up to it walking down North Point to Columbus and going to North Beach for some Italian food may be an option unless you want to stick to the FW restaurants.

If you want to take a walking tour http://sfcityguides.org has tours. Better than just walking around and they are free except for a tip at the end

maps.google.com is great to see distances between places if you want to see the walking distance, click on the "person' icon instead of the car icon and you can see the walking distance

Edited: 02 April 2012, 18:34
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
843 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 day itinerary for San Fran (no car)

A comprehensive half day tour is always a god bet for a first time visit to a city. I'm partial to art museums, and my favorites in SF are the Asian Art Museum, the SF Museum of Modern Art and the DeYoung museum, which is also pleasantly located in Golden Gate Park. If you ride a cable car ($3 a shot) you may also enjoy a brief visit to the Cable Car Museum, where the works of the system are still located.

Everyone dumps on Fisherman's Wharf, and I understand why. But at the end of Pier 39 there, and then off to the left, are the rafts where the sea lions hang out - barking, flippiong, swimming and fighting. It's one of my favorite attractions there, and it's free! Yes, you have to walk through half a mile of the most touristy-trappish shlock imaginable to get there, but it's worth it.

Delaware
Level Contributor
79 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 day itinerary for San Fran (no car)

Thanks for the input. I just got back on to see the replies. I will look into the suggestions tonight:)

Perth, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 day itinerary for San Fran (no car)

We have 2 1/2 days in San Francisco and wish to make the most of our time ( no car). Suggestions appreciated. We are not great shoppers but would love to visit a museum or two and obvious scenic places.

Edited: 21 April 2013, 07:23
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 day itinerary for San Fran (no car)

Colleen

Welcome to the Forums! I applaud your desire to search the forums for past information but this thread is about a year old and belongs to liz from Delaware who was here last year and is probably wondering why she's received notifications about updates to an old thread.

Please start your own thread ("Ask A Question") and include some things about yourself (who is "we" ... travelling with kids?), where are you staying and when will you be here.

7. Re: 2 day itinerary for San Fran (no car)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2014, 06:19