We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comparing SF to NY driving

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Comparing SF to NY driving

If you live or have visited both.

How would you compare San Francisco driving and parking to New York City?

I think NYC is worse.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,922 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comparing SF to NY driving

Yes. Driving and parking in NYC is worse. NYC has higher pop density than SF, esspecially Manhattan. Driving in SF isn't all that bad.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,570 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Comparing SF to NY driving

I used to live in NYC, and would say that it's harder to drive (and be a pedestrian) in SF. While traffic in Manhattan is heavy, it's also slow enough so that you don't have to make panicky decisions. In SF, the hills can make it very hard to see what's approaching on cross-streets, and the traffic moves fast enough so that you have to make decisions quickly.

It's not hard to find expensive parking garages in either city, but street parking is a nightmare in both.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,569 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comparing SF to NY driving

Well , first of all NYC doesn't have hills!

To me getting stuck on the top of a hill at a red light or a stop sign is always very nerve wracking ! Both cities have neighborhoods where you CAN find street parking but since you don't know where those are in San Francisco it would be more difficult for you. My daughter is unusual in that she always found a street parking place in San Francisco and now that she is back in NYC she also seems to manage there but I think it is just her special "parking karma" !!!

When we visit San Francisco we use public transportation!

When I go back home now to NYC I do the same!!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,561 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comparing SF to NY driving

Manhattan is a grid structure. San Francisco is several grid structures melding into Market Street with a lot of no left turn signs. I think SF is harder for folks who don't know it.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Comparing SF to NY driving

In a manual or automatic?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Comparing SF to NY driving

I agree with sfi ... SF has a lot of hills, streets that don't go through because of the hills, cable car and street car tracks that your wheels can slide around on.

And now the SF Bike Coilition wants to take over city streets. There are bike lanes all over and cyclists who think "Stop" signs don't apply to them.

Between the bikes and the wacko pedestrians I'm always amazed I haven't seen some sort of carnage every time I cross town. In the East (Boston most especially) eveyone knows to get out of the way of the cars. Here, we're playing an endless game of chicken.

7. Re: Comparing SF to NY driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 01:42