We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oakland from Yosemite

White Hall, Maryland
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Oakland from Yosemite

Will be returning from yosemite to Oakland for flight home. will have 1 day/evening. where should we stay ?

Is there an area close enough to stay so that we can at least see the GG Bridge?

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
15,483 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oakland from Yosemite

Since you want to see the GG Bridge, I would stay in San Francisco, then go to Oakland for your flight the next day.

If you prefer to stay near Oakland Airport (which is not going to be as interesting as staying in SF), you could drive from Yosemite into SF to do some sightseeing, then head back across the bay to stay in Oakland. This will be a longer day (4-5 hours drive to SF, an hour minimum to see just the bridge, then an hour drive from the bridge to Oakland Airport).

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oakland from Yosemite

You have to get high up in the hills to see the Golden Gate Bridge from Oakland. You have to be able to see all the way across the city, across the bay and much of San Francisco to see that bridge (which is often fogged in anyway). It's possible that you could see it from a room in the Claremont Hotel--it's partway up the hill and will set you back $300 a night and up.

For views from Oakland hotels, I'd suggest the Waterfront Plaza, which is right by the Estuary (an arm of the Bay) or the Marriott downtown, which is something of a highrise.

White Hall, Maryland
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oakland from Yosemite

Is there an area/ place to stay on the "Oakland side " of the bridge ? If so , we could visit SF during the day , cross the bridge in the evenng , spend the night and be closer to Oakland Airport for a noon fligfht?

Also, someone suggested Oyster Point in South SF for a relaxing day then next AM drive to Oakland Airport. Is that doable ?

White Hall, Maryland
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oakland from Yosemite

Susan , I like your idea. We will arrive from Yosemite early afternnon on friday . Any suggestions on where to stay so that we can have reasonable access tro Oakland airpiort the next AM? .

We will have a rental car , and I understand parking at a SF is very expensive.

I read about staying in South SF , would that be a reaosnable location? I found a place called Otter Point with free parking .

Thanks sooooo much

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,665 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oakland from Yosemite

A couple of options that I would think about

If all you want to do is to drive and see the Golden Gate bridge, you can drive from Yosemite to the bridge, park at the vista point and perhaps go up Marin Headlands and see the view. I would then stay in one of the motor inns on Lombard street -- Conventry, Cow Hollow, Redwood, Travelodge Presidio and it has parking included then eat on Chestnut street or on Union Street a close walk away and head to OAK the next morning.

Option 2

There are many restaurants in the Richmond District and Sunset area in SF where you could park for an hour or so (after you circle around to find parking) have a good dinner and then head back to Oakland Airport. You could return the car and stay at a hotel near the airport or return the car the next day.

Not sure why you want to stay in South San Francisco.

Edited: 19 April 2012, 17:23
San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Oakland from Yosemite

If your plane is at noon I would definitely stay in the City, as indicated above you can find a motel with free parking. Then you can spend the day and evening visiting and you will have plenty of time to get to OAK the next morning.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,919 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oakland from Yosemite

The best views of the Golden Gate Bridge from the East Bay are from the Berkeley Marina. The Doubletree hotel, which is at the marina, has rooms pointing towards the Bay, but I don't remember if the GGB is visible from them. You might also have success with high-floor rooms at the Claremont Resort or Hotel Durant.

Back on topic, staying at a motor lodge along Lombard Street in SF seems like your best bet since you have enough time to get to the airport the following morning. Good luck!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
50,665 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oakland from Yosemite

On a nice evening with the emphasis on nice (not being foggy) if you go right to the top of the Berkeley Hills next to the Lawrence Hall of Science, the view of the Bay and the bridges is amazing. We take visitors there, whenever possible and then stop at Cafe Strada on the way back after being frozen up there :-)

9. Re: Oakland from Yosemite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 01:18